Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the best way to clean the rust out of a fuel tank? I heard bb's or small stainless nuts with diesal fuel and swish around a bit but it looks like I could do this for days and not get all the rust out. Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Domiken did it right!:) Awesome post for sure. But....maybe it isn't needed to go whole hog if the rust isn't that bad. My tank had some surface rust...not nearly as bad as Dom's...and a handful of little nuts and some kerosene shook around for a while took most of it out leaving only a stain and little to none loose flaking crap to clog the screen.

This might be all that is needed depending on how bad the situation is. The FI bikes have an advantage over the carbed ones with the screen to the pump blocking most of the rust size flakes that can cause you grief. Then there is a fine filter to protect the injectors downstream. But, rust CAN certainly block up the screen if it is too bad.

If you don't want to do the Full Monty on the tank, you might try the shaking with nuts deal and see how it goes. Best of luck! Oh...pictures are always nice in situations like this. Can we see how bad your rust situation is?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Thanks Rob, if you have any questions feel free to ask, its an easy task, just time consuming.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shortly after posting this I found some stuff called Metal Rescue. First I added half gallon of diesel fuel with nuts and bolts to break up the bad stuff. Dumped that out and then added 2 gallons of Metal Rescue and let sit, turning upside down every 6 hours or so. It got most of the rust off but didn't do the super clean job I thought it was supposed to do. I repeated the first step again and it doesn't look to bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts