Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I've been searching the forum and haven't been able to find anything on this. I have a 2000 650 with 14k on it. When i was riding home the other day it starting acting up and turned out the side stand switch crapped the bed so i bypassed it and was able to start her again. But now when i put it in gear it runs really rough and is not ride able, I mean its running like real crap. Figured it was the neutral switch but it seems to be checking out ok and I've checked all of my wires for a short and they're all nice and clean with no corrosion. Could I be getting a false reading on the neutral switch? Its the only thing I can think of. Also, the gauges jump when in gear but fine when its in neutral. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Double checked everything and still crap. Does anyone know what's connected to the gearbox that's electronic or would affect it? Could something be fried so when the neutral switch is "flipped" it would cause electrical issues?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
everythings still checking out. im stumped. but when the ignitions on, engine off, and i put it into gear the lights dim on the dash and headlight. but when i apply slightly more pressure on the shifter the lights come back to regular brightness. the only thing i can think of thats connected to the shifter would be the neutral safety switch yet its still showing good continuity. anyone else have any issues like this in the past?

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
...Also, the gauges jump when in gear but fine when its in neutral.
Jumpy gauges with rough running usually means main power is glitching. Often caused by low battery voltage or loose battery terminals, but in your case, sounds like the bypass wire on the sidestand switch may be flaky.

The sidestand switch is a critical connection since it can cause your engine to spontaneously cut out which can be dangerous. Did you twist and tape that connection, or solder and heatshrink? First thing I would do is double check that bypass and connecting wires.

If all is OK there, then try monitor the voltage on the Orange/Black coming out of the back of the sidestand relay to verify steady power out. There should be no change (want to see rock steady 12v) when clicking into and out of gear. Good luck!

Edit to add: It is possible the problem is simply a failing sidestand relay, and the sidestand switch may have been fine all along... To test, you can temporarily bypass the relay (not the switch) by jumping O/B to O/Y at the back of the fusebox.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always twist solder and heat shrink any electrical I do. Ill check the relay and power out when i get home after work. Battery and all connections and grounds are solid too. I've went through a lot of the wires looking for a short and they're all perfect so far. Thanks for the input I'm praying its one of those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Figured it out! As a reference for anyone else that runs into this problem I found no shorts anywhere everything was pristine. Remember it was only happening when applying pressure to the shifter. My lights would dim and tach would go nuts. I went and ordered a new neutral switch which was impossible to find in stock anywhere and my dealer had it on back order which worked out because it was not the switch. Turns out one of the springs that puts pressure on one of the contacts to engage the neutral switch to allow power to go through was not pushing hard enough. Theyre numbers 37 and 40 on the diagram, http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/home.aspx#/Suzuki/SV650_(2000)/GEAR_SHIFTING/08080003/5608080021
Fixed the problem and shes running as good as ever. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone that helped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts