Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SV sat up for a few months, which, unfortunately resulted in all the interior tubes in the carbs getting crapped up. I pulled the carbs, removed all the rubber and plastic bits, and soaked them overnight in a cleaning solution (toluene, denatured alcohol, mineral spirits- it's the same mix a coworker of mine uses to clean dirty carb parts). I reassembled the carbs, and noticed that the throttle tended to surge, the engine sounded irregular, and that gas mileage was poor- like fuel light coming on after 60 miles poor. Based on the sooty plugs, the low MPG, and the constant smell of gas, it looks like the carbs are just dumping fuel into the engine.

The idle is set to its original position, and while many instructions say to turn the (both slow and fast, I'm assuming?) 2.5 turns out, both of mine were seated all the way when I originally pulled the carbs.

Going through another one of my tool sets, I found the springs that hold the side diaphragms in place. WHOOPS. I put those back in the carburetors and started it up. Now the engine sounds consistent, but it idles at 4K, even without the choke or the idle adjustment.

I've heard the rubber tips on the float needles going bad can cause the carbs to dump too much fuel into the float, but it won't stall or flood when I open the throttle up.

Suggestions? Ideas? Etc?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Check for any vacuum leaks as this will make you idle higher.

Is your choke cable adjusted correctly (not pulled or under tension?)

The 2.5 turns are for the air/fuel screw which are covered by brass plugs. Is that what you changed?

Try cleaning your carbs with sea foam or put some in your gas tank so it can clean the carbs a bit while the bike runs.

If you do pull the carbs again let them soak longer, and get a carb rebuild kit to change all the o-rings, float needle and seat. (17.50$ each here). Good maintenance even if not the fix.

Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No vacuum leaks, the choke is adjusted properly, and I didn't change the air-fuel screws, I removed the fast and slow jets.

I soaked the carbs for three days each without rubber or plastic bits in some heavy-duty industrial solvents- there's nothing left in there.

It looks like I will definitely be getting the rebuild kit- hell, the bike is 11 years old and has 43K miles on it- it's probably time anyway.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts