Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2009 Suzuki SV650S Gen2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a ride for about an hour and noticed ticking but nothing crazy, just very faint (almost nothing more than a gut feeling or paranoia) so I kept an ear out for more symptoms. Wasn't running hot. Just wasn't healthy as it normally sounded. I get a qtr mile from the house and I hear a pop and lost power. Sounded like crap. Ran like crap. I could barely keep it alive and so I idled it to the top of a hill and killed it, luckily able to coast the rest of the way and perfectly land my slick ass back into my driveway 馃槑.
Anyway- I took it apart and... soon as I pull the gas tank, there's the spark plug boot chillin with no spark plug in the assigned cylinder port. Where is it? It's just laying on the battery as if it came out hot af. It's passed due. Bike has 10K miles. 2009 sv650s. I bought it from a friend and I had to put it back together when I got it but it has ran like a champ and had regular oil changes since I have owned it maybe a year. Just hadn't made it to the spark plugs yet.
so my question is: what made the spark plug pop out like that? And should I expect anything worse to follow spark plug replacements? The bike has always idled just under 1000 rpm a little lower than I would think of as normal... and I've noticed in low 2nd and 3rd if I give it the opportunity, it will studder a little bit. But aside from that, the bike has been my ride or die. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing. I get a ton of my education from this forum. Ryman out 馃惡

Registered
Same as ^^^ hopefully the PO just didn't torque it down and it backed its way out. I've seen plugs pop out before but it's generally the wrong plug or not tight.

Super Moderator
What Salty and Drew said.

You will be amazed how much better the bike runs with both spark plugs installed. : -)

While you are in there make sure the sparkplug drain hole is clear and use dielectric grease on the plug boot to keep water out.

Registered
I've always found that brand-new plugs loosen off and need snugging back up after 1000 miles or so, the 10mm thread on the plugs means they can't take too much tightening torque and once the crush washer has settled, they need nipping up again.

As others said above, I think the plug has just loosened and backed right out.

Registered
I've always found that brand-new plugs loosen off and need snugging back up after 1000 miles or so, the 10mm thread on the plugs means they can't take too much tightening torque and once the crush washer has settled, they need nipping up again.

As others said above, I think the plug has just loosened and backed right out.
I've noticed this too, or I should say, I notice this happens when other folks install plugs. I put a dab of anti-seize on the threads before I install and it seems to rectify this.

Registered
2009 Suzuki SV650S Gen2
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know how many plugs on the 2009? I believe there are 4, 2 on each cylinder. But it's not made clear anywhere I've read into it. Which is just silly lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts