Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a stupid question but I have a track day coming up and the forecast is likely rain.
Do event organizers/track operators allow for rain gear for riders? I have one set of leathers and I’m not crazy about a practice day in the rain and then wearing wet leathers the next day, that would totally suck.
I’ve never done a track day in the rain.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
You should check directly with your track day organization.

Be sure to put dielectric grease on your spark plugs and clear out your front spark plug drain hole.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was able to run one in the past with no issues. It was one of the cheap Coleman suits. I ended up throwing it out from getting a hole from flapping in the wind. They are cheap though haha

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 SV650
17 Posts
I've seen guys use garden sized garbage bags to cover up their leathers lol. My leathers always seem to dry up by the next day just hanging them up by a fan. Guess I'm lucky?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was curious because the reason for leather and not other riding gear is supposed to be it’s fireproof, relatively speaking. I wasn’t sure if I’d get hassled for a cheap-assed rain suit over my leathers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah I was curious because the reason for leather and not other riding gear is supposed to be it’s fireproof, relatively speaking. I wasn’t sure if I’d get hassled for a cheap-assed rain suit over my leathers.
I have not heard of that being an issue. Even the MotoGP guys wear rain suits over their leathers.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I don't think leather is all that fireproof. The reason for leather is abrasion resistance. I have fallen off of bicycles at 30 mph wearing thin spandex and I've fallen off of motorcycles at much higher speeds with leathers. My last two falls in leathers resulted in zero skin abrasions. Rain suits are fine for the track.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Udate: Frog Toggs are a single trackday session product only. Also, rains are freaking awesome. In my last practice session of the day on Friday it was absolutely pouring, and everyone else in my group either didn't go out for the session or bailed early on because they were running street tires, letting me use the entire track for my own disporting. As I only had the top part of the rainsuit on, the sleeves split on the back side from wrist to shoulder, but otherwise worked great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Leathers are not required because they are fireproof. That would be 3-layer Nomex car suits. The reason for leather is abrasion resistance. You can slide a long way on asphalt in leathers. Nothing else works that way that I am aware of.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Leathers are not required because they are fireproof. That would be 3-layer Nomex car suits. The reason for leather is abrasion resistance. You can slide a long way on asphalt in leathers. Nothing else works that way that I am aware of.
Correct.
And the most abrasion resistant leather is kangaroo one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to Academy Sports and buy a frog toggs rain suit this and some duck tape will work pretty well. As far as riding in rain, be smooth. No sudden movements and easy on the throttle. Have fun.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Go to Academy Sports and buy a frog toggs rain suit this and some duck tape will work pretty well. As far as riding in rain, be smooth. No sudden movements and easy on the throttle. Have fun.
I know what you mean but I always chuckle when people write "be smooth in the rain" as if you aren't supposed to be smooth in the dry too.:geek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts