Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it a bit "Sucky" by Suzuki that they would charge you 16.95$ for a dealer mode switch, so I want to make my own.

But that got me to thinking: why even have a switch? Why not run in Dealer Mode all the time?

I've heard it's not advisable. But what is the problem? Does the rumour stem from Suzuki, because they want to sell some switches, or are there real problems involved with running permanently in Dealer Mode?

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
...Why not run in Dealer Mode all the time?

I've heard it's not advisable.
Running Dealer Mode all the time will not hurt anything but will prevent engine temp from being displayed.

If running the MultiBot, gear position and bike voltage will be blocked too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm interested to hear why you'd want to have dealer mode permanently on. You should rarely if ever get error codes.

Wrap a paper clip with electrical tape and leave it in the connector for a free and permanent dealer mode "tool."
Well, there could be several reasons. One of them is, as I wrote in the start of the thread, that I find it ridiculous that you should pay Suzuki an additional 17 dollars for something that costs only a few dollars to make yourself and that, really, SHOULD be integrated into the original gauge.

And then there are those of us who would like to use a 3rd party gauge, but still would like to be able to read error codes. It could be cool if "someone" with adequate electronics experience (Hi TeeRiver!) could produce an additional gauge/display, that could show you gear position, voltage, mileage AND error codes, if possible. I'm not sure whether the ECU puts out the error code directly while in dealer mode, or if an "interpreter" chip in the original gauge is required to be able to translate the error codes, but.... yeah, I'm basically just dreaming about OPTIONS here. :D

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
If you were half handy you could wire a switch into that connector and leave the switch somewhere accessible. Then, it would be off unless you wanted to see the codes, then flip the switch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you were half handy you could wire a switch into that connector and leave the switch somewhere accessible. Then, it would be off unless you wanted to see the codes, then flip the switch.
And that's exactly what I am going to do - waterproof and all. :) Still, it could be nice to see the codes in a display somewhere, without having to ride with the original gauge installed.

·
Super Moderator
8,536 Posts
... an additional gauge/display, that could show you gear position, voltage, mileage AND error codes, if possible. :D
Mazz, checkout this thread post#105, with video. Synfinatic built what you are looking for. No gear position or voltage but shows engine temp and error codes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts