Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just went for a 30 minute ride today and I noticed that my temp gauge is running extremely hot. I just swapped out the old 6year old coolant with Water Wetter just 2 days ago and burped the thing until the coolant didn't go down. I didn't go for a ride thought but I did run the bike for a good bit before turning it off and rechecking the coolant level, all seems fine.

I was just on the freeway at night (it was cold) and my engine was wandering from 188+ to 200 degrees from just traveling at 65 miles per hour... that striked me as funny because my old engine coolant ran me at a decent 188.... i thought water wetter would make the temperature drop but instead it raised the average temperature by 10 degrees.

Any solutions to this? I'm cracking off the fairing tomorrow to have another look at the coolant level to see if it's filled up all the way or not... do you think there's like an air bubble trapped in there or something?

I would accelerate and every second I do it raises a temp point... and if i just let it idle it runs around 185... this is most terrible :mad:

BTW i used the Water Wetter premade mix and the coolant reservoir is at the Full line with Water wetter too.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
All the air is not out. The air can be trapped in the hoses. Now that is ran, check the coolant levels again.

Also did you get all the coolant out of the overflow bottle? If not you could get mixing of the two coolants.

I changed mine to water wetter and noticed that even though the system was burped, all the air did not get out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i burped it all but did not check it yet after i gave it a good thrashing on the road

i thoroughly rinsed the radiator with a gallon of distilled water

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
ok i burped it all but did not check it yet after i gave it a good thrashing on the road

i thoroughly rinsed the radiator with a gallon of distilled water
Ok. But did you remove the old coolant out of the resivior (where you check your coolant level?) There can be around 1/8 of a gallon of old coolant in there. Water Wetter is okay to mix with all coolants. Just a matter of having old "worn" out coolant mixed with new water + an additive.

I know when I did mine, I burped it, rode it and it still had air. With all the passages, it's some time and even some "rocking" of the bike back and forth to get all the air out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no antifreeze, i live in Southern California where it rarely gets to the freezing point

i also drained the coolant reservoir and rinsed it thoroughly, it is currently at the Full level with water wetter and hasn't budged since.

i'll check out the radiator level tonight then

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so i ran the engine all the way up to 195 degrees on IDLE in the cool night (probably 55 degrees out) and it still ran that high on idle!! my old 6 year old coolant never idled that high, there were no bubbles coming up and the coolant itself splattered a bit then leveled out after idling for a good 10 minutes

i capped it then took it for a cruise and the bike ran extremely hot while in the low gears but once i hit the high rpms then the bike suddenly started to spike to insanely cool temperatures (from 195 to 181 to 176).... what the heck is wrong with my radiator coolant??? i never had this problem until i swapped water wetter into the cooling system.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
What you are describing is typical of still having air in the system. IE: High temps are idle (you will get high temps anyways as there is no air flow over the radiator). Then when you were riding it at higher RPM's generating more heat and hence transferring more heat to the radiator.

Then the lower temps, is probably the air bubble finally worked it's way to the resivior bottle and out of the main cooling system. This is what you want.

Just ride it and keep an eye on the coolant temps. For a second gen, I think the limit is 220. As long as the temps are steady you should be okay.

Ride it and report back. If you are still seeing high temps, them the lower temps and back you still have air in the system.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What you are describing is typical of still having air in the system. IE: High temps are idle (you will get high temps anyways as there is no air flow over the radiator). Then when you were riding it at higher RPM's generating more heat and hence transferring more heat to the radiator.

Then the lower temps, is probably the air bubble finally worked it's way to the resivior bottle and out of the main cooling system. This is what you want.

Just ride it and keep an eye on the coolant temps. For a second gen, I think the limit is 220. As long as the temps are steady you should be okay.

Ride it and report back. If you are still seeing high temps, them the lower temps and back you still have air in the system.
Ok so i just went on a long ride (3 hours straight) and it was running around 195 the entire time, the moment it hit around 196 197 it would shoot all the way to 188 and then slowly climb up again and do the same thing...

i think that's consistent?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Mine hits in the 190's when I let it sit and idle for a period of time no matter what the temp is, the faster I go the cooler it runs. Around town the high 180's while moving, up to 196 while sitting. Sounds normal to me *shrug*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts