Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time saving tip is to make sure you have a couple of M6x20 bolts, which were required to attach the new regulator/rectifier (at least in my case). The original RR is attached by a couple of (self-tapping) M6x10 screws, which were too short for the new RR. Cost me another trip into town.

Secondly, you will be relieved to know that the tail section bodywork is in absolutely no danger of flying off :lol: Working your way to the RR - at least the first time - is best approached with patience.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wee twin, I need a new RR so I was doing some search and found a post of yours form last week. Where did you get your RR at and was it used or new and can you tell me the price you paid for it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So if I put this on my bike I can call it a SV650RR right?

Did you just pull one off a CBR600RR or do I need to get the CBR1000RR??

Do I need a special mounting bracket or do they simply bolt on?

ROFL.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin said:
Wee twin, I need a new RR so I was doing some search and found a post of yours form last week. Where did you get your RR at and was it used or new and can you tell me the price you paid for it.
I paid over $160 from a dealer. Ayers had it for about $140. You can probably buy one on E-bay or something for a lot less, especially if you adapt something made for another bike. I didn't want to take the time to jury-rig, so I bought an OEM part.

I still have the old one that may or may not be bad, as the new RR didn't really solve my problem. Replacing the battery did.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NHSVnaked said:
Why did you get a new RR?
If the bike didn't start immediately (first few seconds) there was not enough juice left to turn the engine over. A mechanic checked it and told me the battery was good because the voltage at the terminals was correct, but he thought the RR was bad because the voltage didn't increase with rpm.

This problem started several months prior, when I drained the battery by inadvertently leaving the key in the park position. I think that damaged the battery so that it would no longer hold much of a charge. Anyway, after replacing the old battery with a new Yausa, the problem went away.

I still have the RR I replaced. Someday, I will have it checked to see if it's still good.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SpeedyBoy said:
Do I need a special mounting bracket or do they simply bolt on?
It bolts directly on just as I described, but the replacement RR required longer bolts due to a thicker boss around the bolt holes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i used a gsxr R/R off ebay for 30 bucks
the year gsxr doesn't really matter just make sure you get one with 5 wires, NOT the 6 wire ones

check the tips/tricks section on svrider main site if you want details

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I got one from a wrecked SV that had less than 3k miles on it for $8.95
I was the only one on ebay that bid on it. 

It is worth keeping an eye out for "maintenence" items.  At that price, I can just swap it out
and if it works OK then that was the problem. 

1 - 9 of 9 Posts