Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Ive been hitting my local playground more often and I'm a little confused. From what I've been hearing the sv is a lowish rpm torque engine, however when I'm diving in and out of corners I feel like its most responsive between 7k and the moon. Under 7k it seems sluggish, almost dead, on corner exit. The flip side is I feel like I'm beating the everloving stuffing out of the engine, asking it to do things it wasn't designed for (its no I4). To the more experienced riders, is what my butt feeling correct with high rpm responsiveness or is it better for performance and engine longevity to sit a little lower in the rev range? Thanks

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
6k+ for me

purely based on my butt dyno and what feels right.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I wouldn't call it dead under 7K, but your sensing of performance is right on. You're experiencing where the engine makes max torque and eventually hp. You will not harm the engine at those rpms; think what the rpm range on a track is. If you ride like this all the time your gas mileage will drop, but that's the price for having fun in the curves. Having two cyl or four does not determine the rev ceiling or range, it's how the engine is tuned and the strength of its components. There are low revving 4s and high revving 2s.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't call it dead under 7K, but your sensing of performance is right on. You're experiencing where the engine makes max torque and eventually hp. You will not harm the engine at those rpms; think what the rpm range on a track is. If you ride like this all the time your gas mileage will drop, but that's the price for having fun in the curves. Having two cyl or four does not determine the rev ceiling or range, it's how the engine is tuned and the strength of its components. There are low revving 4s and high revving 2s.
Ok thanks, I shall continue to wring her neck.:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
731 Posts
IMO the SV has the just the right amount of low end and midrange torque to make life easier, but not enough to make it boring. It still likes to rev a bit.. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts