Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a fairing bracket mounting kit and was attempting to install the parts on my 2007 SV650N. Instructions that came with the kit said to remove the 14-mm nut on the right hand side of the bike that helps bolt the engine to the frame. The nut would not turn without turning the stud. After a few attempts with a 14mm socket, I rounded the corners off the nut without loosening it. I could not see any way to hold the stud/bolt while turning the nut.

Upon further inspection, the nut appears to have some sort of locking mechanism in the form of a small tab that meets the threads.

What is the proper technique to remove this nut?

Thank you.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Big drill?

Honestly just going to offer this as a bump- I haven't seen any bolts on my bike that have a "locking" tab.

And I won't waste time trying to get rounded bolts out- I just drill them out and put a new one in haha.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
You need to post a picture. Nobody knows what bolt you are talking about. Especially since there isn't a M14 holding the motor in.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I agree with the suggestion of providing a picture - I'm not sure what nut/bolt you're talking about.
If there's a locking tab on the nut, just lift the tab off the bolt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Without seeing it I can't be sure, but one of the best tools I have acquired in my years working on cars is a set of snap-on easyouts. The pn for the 14mm socket is TFSY14A. Slam it on with a hammer and it will grip the nut, which will obviously need to be replaced once removed. Then a 3/8" hand ratchet should take it out. Only draw back is you will need to hold the stud somehow.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
The only one that has a nut on it is the bolt that goes all the way through. Bolt number 34 and nut 35 in this diagram. If that's the case you have to hold the bolt on the left side while you turn the nut on the right.
Close, bolt #33 and nut #35 go together (this is the bolt that goes through the middle of the V.

There is another bolt and nut that go below the front sprocket, which is bolt #31 and nut #34.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The attached photo might help. This has nothing to do with the rear axle.

The nut in question is on the right hand side of the bike just aft of the crankcase cover.

I have not found any other end of it to hold, as I would normally do when attempting to loosen a nut attached to a bolt. I thought the bolt/stud might originate inside the crankcase and that is my best guess from external inspection.

I think I was mistaken thinking there was a locking mechanism on the nut - this is just the end of the thread on the nut.

Maybe I should RTFM (if I had one).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drinkbrew - thank you for the link to the drawing, this is most helpful.

The nut/bolt are at the bottom rear of the engine, so the bolt is #31 and nut #34 if I am reading the figure correctly. This figure shows there is indeed a bolt through the crankcase that I somehow have overlooked.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drinkbrew - your axle nut photo shows locking tabs similar to what I originally thought the M14 nut has. I will try to bend this out, hold the bolt end from turning, apply PB and/or heat if necessary to loosen the nut.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No 31 and 32 are M8 or M10 that are threaded directly into the front cylinder casting.
I think you need to supply a photo so we can all get on the same bus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No 31 and 32 are M8 or M10 that are threaded directly into the front cylinder casting.
I think you need to supply a photo so we can all get on the same bus.
Sorry, I attempted to post a photo 3 replies back, but apparently failed. Will try again later.

I don't mean to argue over the schematic either, but #31 and #34 in question are in the opposite direction of the label "FWD" in the figure and are therefore at the rear of the crankcase. The head of bolt #31 is on the left hand side of the bike and the nut #34, which attaches to it, is the one whose points I rounded.

In the extreme lower left hand corner of the upper left hand figure 5 is an unlabeled hole. This is the hole through which the bolt is inserted and where the nut is secured.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts