Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may remember, I bought a hell of a project bike for my fiancee. It was a 95 ZX-6E that was treated very badly, was in pieces, needed at lot of work, yada, yada, yada.

Well...long story short, that one didn't work our for her. She wasn't confident when riding it since there were so many problems previously. So we cut our losses, kept looking, and stumbled across this little gem.

A 1992 GS500E in rather immaculate condition, aside from some sun fade on the plastic bits. The best part was that it was already running and my fiancee could ride it home!

Bought it from a fella that graduated from University of North Florida in mechanical engineering and helped initiate the program where they built a working "formula style" race car and raced it. He was getting rid of it because he was moving up north to work for Honda in their R&D department.

I haven't ridden it yet, but my lady friend is always smiling when she takes her helmet off after a ride. Probably one of the simplest motorcycles I've ever dealt with in my life, so it will be an excellent commuter when it comes time for her to start school.

More pics to follow :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Good buy. I hope your lady friend continues to like it.

Bought it from a fella that graduated from University of North Florida in mechanical engineering and helped initiate the program where they built a working "formula style" race car and raced it.
Its called Formula SAE, I am President of SAE at North Dakota State University. I may have met your seller at the 2011. A few Guys from North Florida approached us in the pits asking about insight on building their first car for the 2012 comp.

Seemed like good guys, we emailed back design reviews and ideas a few times.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Peeling graphics off a 20-year old paint job isn't w/o consequences. Personally, I'd leave that part alone unless/until you plan to paint the whole bike.

This s/b a nice bike for her. Change the fluids, and check the tires carefully. and she may have a great ride. You can't always tell from pics, but that one looks like it has been cared for and not abused.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Good buy. I hope your lady friend continues to like it.

Its called Formula SAE, I am President of SAE at North Dakota State University. I may have met your seller at the 2011. A few Guys from North Florida approached us in the pits asking about insight on building their first car for the 2012 comp.

Seemed like good guys, we emailed back design reviews and ideas a few times.
I had a couple buddies that were on the UoWaterloo team.. you Formula SAE guys do some cool ****.

OP, glad to hear your GF has a solid runner. Looks great too.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone. all we did was ride around today so she can get a good feel for it, including what it feels like to run out of gas on the highway :lmao:

the PO filled it up before we took it off his hands, but i guess he used up all but probably a gallon getting his final memories in on it. a combination of him running down the gas, resetting the trip meter, and the fact that this bike has no fuel gauge/light led to her sputtering out on the highway. luckily there was an exit with available gas stations only a 1/2 mile down the road.

as far as the paint goes, someone told her about a color restorer for plastic parts that is sold at auto parts stores? i've never heard of it, but i guess we'll look into it. if that doesn't work out, maybe it'll finally give me an excuse to give plasti-dip a shot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I love your jackets, where did you get them at?
I enjoy the clear style jackets the most, it gives you that "I'm a badass" look.

Someone had to mention it...

but still, if you need parts! FEEL FREE TO ASK! I might not even charge you if you came and picked them up yourself! and depending on the part.

get some cast iron stove polish for those pipes! http://www.elitedeals.com/rut-70.ht...nnelid=FROOG&gclid=CLnTo5GhyrECFc2A7QodhiIAQA

it works.. it makes them a matte black and takes 24 hours to cure, but no more rusting. also scrape as much rust that's on there off before applying.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Nice gear.

My wife has started riding with me recently and she loves it. Plus a good friend of hers used to ride with her husband (who passed away years ago) so she gave us a couple jackets. Even before that I had hear wear a jean jacket at least.

Congrats on the the bike.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The gear reminds me of my early riding career. Helmet, gloves, jeans, t-shirt, and boots (that part is different) was my style for a long time. Anything extra was for weather. It took a lot of years and miles and too many crashes before I decided that ATGATT and constant skill improvement was a better choice.

From the similarity of your apparel, it looks like she respects your judgement, and would probably follow your lead if you decided to go ATGATT.

·
Administrator
11,045 Posts
Wow man, nice find. Congrats on the bike and on the riding fiancee.

+1 on the ATGATT thing, though.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haha i knew i was going to get a verbal lashing after i put these up :sbmfacepalm:

the jackets were worn to get there and leave, but taken off in the pictures since it was blazingly hot/humid and we were isolated to a parking with no traffic. we only stayed out for a few minutes since it was getting miserable rather quickly. thats actually why i wore the camelback since it gets so toasty with the extra layer.

all excuses aside, we are guilty as charged in the pictures, but it's definitely not a normal occurence for me/us to scoot like that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts