Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... Hoping for a suggestion for a 1st Gen shock option that will give me a better ride on rough roads. Preferably a minimally invasive (no remote reservoir) eBay take off, that is still available in 2020. :)

Looking for a softer ride. Not track performance, unless that's included. :). I like to ride fast, but not at expense of being pummeled by bumpy roads; also ride some dirt. Would a 636 shock accomplish this?

My other three bikes are dual sports. Love riding those on street and dirt. Totally comfortable bouncing about while railing around paved twisties.

I have the stock suspension preload set to full soft (including in front, it's an adjustable 2002). Actually like stock pretty well. I weigh 185 lb.

Kind of hoping a 636 shock might be sprung softly enough, and dampened well enough, to get what I'm looking for?

Thanks!!!

P.S. Certainly thought about V-Strom and Versys. Extra 35-50 lbs, height, width (always run saddlebags/panniers), and frame-mounted fairing don't really appeal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi, I might be completely wrong but setting preload to the softest may be 1/2 the problem ,the bike is possibly bottoming out making the ride hasher and the excessive travel will heat up the shock and struts much faster. I would run slightly heavier oil in the front as well so the struts move in a more controlled manner. I think with a standard bike I would set static sag about 15mm front and back with panniers fitted and with normal weight in them, also if your keen 10 or 15w oil in the forks
I am just thinking out loud so I invite input from others

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
There are no good shock swap option for a first gen.

As gt alex implies, your problem is actually that the shock and fork spring rates are too soft, leading to bottoming and harshness. It seems counter-intuitive, but stiffer springs will give you a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I will try stiffening the springs... and will look out for weather I'm bottoming okay.. But not super hopeful, 100,000 miles riding experience has taught me the opposite lesson.

Rode a friend's street bike in the dirt couple years back, a Kawi zr7s of all things, and the rear shock felt excellent, as if good compression damping could make a difference over the rough stuff.

There also may be a 636 shock available locally on Craigslist.

Hard to believe there are no good first gen options...

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Okay, I will try stiffening the springs... and will look out for weather I'm bottoming okay.. But not super hopeful, 100,000 miles riding experience has taught me the opposite lesson.

Rode a friend's street bike in the dirt couple years back, a Kawi zr7s of all things, and the rear shock felt excellent, as if good compression damping could make a difference over the rough stuff.

There also may be a 636 shock available locally on Craigslist.

Hard to believe there are no good first gen options...
Why is it hard to believe?? The stock shock is too soft and too short. There isn't a shock swap that fits that has the right combo of length and rate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts