Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was planning on running the regular Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 in my new Triumph Speed Four but it calls for 15W-50 Mobil One 4T Synthetic.  Is th 5W-40 too thin?  If so I'm open to recommendations.  I've read all the cut open oil filter reviews and am running Purolator 14610 oil filter, and I've read and re-read the diesel oil review which I think is facinating.  I'd like to stick with a diesel type oil, does Rotella T Synthetic come in any other grades?

Lemme know what you all think!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RoostMonkey said:
Nope, perfectly fine, and even better than 15w-40.  Fire-retardant suit securely fastened  ;D
Whoops I just edited my original post, the Triumph calls for:

15W-50

I'm nervous about running 5W-40 when it calls for a 15W-50 weight...??

Let me know!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
if it says 50 run 50

·
Registered
235 Posts
Would synthetic Rotella work? Sure, but if the Triumph specifically calls for a syn 50W then play it safe and run: Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being that the Mobil one is an automobile oil, does it have the energy conserving logo that will harm a wet clutch?  I really would like to stick with a fleet oil with it's better characteristics, and high zinc and phosphorus contents.

Found this blurb on the Mobil Extended Performance on another forum:

Note that at the new Mobil 1 website, their extended life Mobil 1 is not recommended for commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling (aka high rpm / high load where I will be frequently). In that case they recommend the traditional Mobil 1.

I checked their website and it's true! What is that about, sounds like an energy conserving oil for long drain intervals in low load vehicles!

I'm undecided, run the Rotella that I just put in for a week, drain and consider it a "flush" and switch over to the more expensive Mobil EP 15W-50?  Dunno, need to find out about the wet clutch issues with autom oil too.

I'll probably end up ignoring the 5,000 mile drain interval and keep changing at 3K regardless of what oil I use.

Maybe it's time for Amsoil, big money but the best lube on earth.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Rotella T Synthetic questions - for a different bike!

wonderjosh said:
I prefer astroglide.  ;D
So many possible responses:

-baby i love my sv, but not that way!

-by the time we're ready to grove my girl is dripping wet, ever hear of foreplay?

-no amount of astroglide will get my member in that little tailpipe opening

-best part of Astroglide in the crankcase?  when it starts to get sticky, just add water to refresh the lube!

OK back to what oil should I run?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
The most important number is the higher. As much a fan of Rotella as I am I would look for another oil that has the 50 as the high number. I am not a fan of synthetics in motorcycles. The cost is not justified by the performance differences (which are debatable anyway, based on extensive real world testing). Much of what synthetics do you don't need in motorcycles. If the cost doesn't matter that much to you, then just stay away from synthetics with "energy efficient" additives. It will say on the container if it has them.

The lower number is not as important. It will affect warm up lubrication a tad, but nothing significant.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey auger, have you read the big oil review over on motorcycleinfo site? He breaks it all down Group I through III and POA and Esters, all very interesting, how it's made, what it is and isn't, what a moto tranny does to long polymers. I'm definately going to run synth, Vette's, new LS1 GTO's etc, all run synth, the Triumph calls for it.

Anyway the Mobil 1 15W-50 synth is not an energy conserving oil so it looks like that is what I'll be running. Can't justify the jump to AMSOil esp when the Mobil 1 synth is called for.

Looks like I'm going to run the Rotella for about a week and use it as a flush, drain and refil with Mobil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts