Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd fuel the fire of the never-ending online oil wars by sharing my oil analysis.

The oil (Rotella T synthetic) had 5 track days and ~500 street miles on it (don't really keep track too closely). The chart is mostly Chinese to me but the comments are reassuring. At less than $15/gallon I think I'll be sticking with. I'm not sure how much this applies to street riding, sorry.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Re: Rotella T: Some Objective Analysis

Wow! That is awesome. Where did you get this done? I've been using Rotella since my first oil change, never saw a reason to switch to anything else. But its nice to know that I made a good decision on this.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I got it done by www.blackstone-labs.com They send you the "kit" for free, basically just a mail-safe container and a little sheet to fill out. It costs $20.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If it's thin it doesn't appear to have had any ill effects. Plus it's the bling bling synthetic!!

*Runs before Andy sees this* ;D

Edit: btw, this was used in the summer in the deep South, so if there were to be ill effects due to the low viscosity on startup etc.., I would likely have seen them. This only applies for my use, of course, can't guarantee anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Very cool.  I use Rotella in my race bike as well.  What do you think the gas is from?  Do you have Flat Slides?  Think you flooded it?

·
Registered
48 Posts

Acutally thats just what people want in a race oil. Pluss it's only 5wt when started and cold. Exactly when you want it to be thin.

cyclerider105 said:
I love Rotella 15-40, but 5wt seems a little thin???

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

No idea about the gas, I was hoping somebody here would school me. If it was something bad like a head gasket it'd be waaay more gas right?? :(

No flat sides, it's all stock.

·
Registered
899 Posts

I know it's only 5wt when cold and the additives make it perform LIKE a 40wt once it warms up. My point is that the base oil is still only 5wt. I guess I am old school and I like a little viscosity in my oil!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Get with the times old man ;D

No really I don't blame you, I got it analyzed because I was thinking of going to a straight 40 weight, the reasoning being that the transmission wouldn't shear up the viscosity improvers and thin the oil so quickly. But it doesn't look like it thinned out too much.

·
Registered
48 Posts

NOsquid said:
No idea about the gas, I was hoping somebody here would school me. If it was something bad like a head gasket it'd be waaay more gas right?? :(

No flat sides, it's all stock.
Well you could have flooded it but really the gas shouldn't have gotten around your valves or even rings and if anything gone out the exhaust.  Or not that much anyway.  With the Flat Slides the accelerator pumps dump gas down the intake every time you hit the throttle.  If the bike is off you will get a ton of gas dumped in there.    You would also think it would have cooked off with the heat.  Email Speedwerks and ask them what they think.  Steve usually gets back to you when you ask questions.  You don?t by chance use a canyon dancer bar tie down?  

·
Registered
48 Posts

cyclerider105 said:
I know it's only 5wt when cold and the additives make it perform LIKE a 40wt once it warms up.  My point is that the base oil is still only 5wt.  I guess I am old school and I like a little viscosity in my oil!
I hear ya. All I can say is I have used it in every motorcycle I have had and had no problems.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Actually you know what, it wouldn't start when I was doing maintenance before my last track day. So I killed the battery trying to start it, choke closed and blipping the throttle. I put the battery on the charger and went at it with starting fluid the next day, then took the sample right after it warmed up and I had turned it off.

Think all that might have done it? It hadn't been started in a month I think so it was reluctant.

·
Registered
48 Posts

NOsquid said:
Actually you know what, it wouldn't start when I was doing maintenance before my last track day. So I killed the battery trying to start it, choke closed and blipping the throttle. I put the battery on the charger and went at it with starting fluid the next day, then took the sample right after it warmed up and I had turned it off.

Think all that might have done it? It hadn't been started in a month I think so it was reluctant.
I think that's your answer. ;D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Awesome thanks! :)

·
Registered
899 Posts

Good info! The numbers don't lie! I guess I need to get over my viscosity fetish! ;D

·
Registered
6,503 Posts

5W-40 oil "acts" like a 5W at 0 deg. C. The viscosity remains stable so that at 100 deg. C it "acts" like a 40W.

At a given temperature the 5W should be providing proper lubrication, although synthetics are still overkill in this engine. Regular old Rotella (or Delvac or Delo) would probably show the same test sheet results.

Single viscosity oils are more susceptible to viscosity change by shearing, oddly enough. Also, until you get up to temperature you are running too heavy an oil. Better than too light an oil, but no need to compromise. There are no benefits to straight weight oils.

Viscosity change due to shearing is a well known phenomenon. Engine builders design and select oils with that in mind.

And your description of the last run would account for the elevated light hydrocarbon content. You need to run at temperature for somewhere around 30 mins. to get an accurate light hydrocarbon reading.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thank you for dropping in oil god :)

What kind of engine would you recommend synthetic in? A higher performance motorcycle?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts