Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much road dirt/rain water gets on your back when you remove the rear fender off the SV 650?

thanx

·
very big dumb
8,894 Posts
remove the rear fender as in just the black part? none.
if you remove the whole tail, you'll probably get a lot.

·
Registered
336 Posts
almost none. definitely not enough fling to hit my back or my helmet, but definitely gets all over the underside of the tail, and a few drops on top of the rear seat cowl
main victim: license plate
i don't care how much dirty water i get on the tail, no fender looks sooooo much better than with the fender
rain or shine :rock: on

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
remove the rear fender as in just the black part? none.
if you remove the whole tail, you'll probably get a lot.

yep just the black part with the plate attached, with a tail tidy in its place.

Actually after looking at it, the license plate bracket just needs a couple of pieces of angle iron bolted to the underside of the wheel well, to be used as a tail tidy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
almost none. definitely not enough fling to hit my back or my helmet, but definitely gets all over the underside of the tail, and a few drops on top of the rear seat cowl
main victim: license plate
i don't care how much dirty water i get on the tail, no fender looks sooooo much better than with the fender
rain or shine :rock: on
Ok sounds good then. How do cops view this modification ?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
As long as the plate is visible and not angled up you should be fine.

I've done quite a bit of rain riding and very little of it gets to the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm getting the hint that your talkin about removing the stock license plate an signal bracket (what we call the shovel) and replacing it with a fender eliminator...

If so, then you have no need to worry about cops or dirt ect. Just find one for the SV and you'll be good, direct bolt on

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the shovel or whatever its called...i think i'll remove that....then remove the oem license plate bracket and remount it with some L brackets.

Do the tail tidy kits mount up to existing holes or do you have to make new ones?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If its made for the SV then you use the existing holes. Once you take it apart you'll see it's pretty easy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then that would be CA then, there's a federal grant to get bikes off the road right now in some areas.

Go around Mulholland (snake) or Angels Crest and there's pigs everywhere you look.

Got a ticket last week for no plates even after showing my paperwork that said i was waiting for plates.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
No temp tag visible though?

I'd assume almost all cops will pull you over if you have no visible plates.

Once though, a buddy of mine had temp plates and we were riding inthe rain, and it got wet and fell off. We pulled over and he put it under his pass. seat incae he got pulled over he could honestly say the cardboard got wet and fell off.

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts
Pigs? Do you live in Wonderland?

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
I ride year round here in the PNW. In the winter it's almost always wet or wet and salty or wet and sodium acetate all over the roads. No fender = major corrosion all over the back of the bike. Fenders might not be cool, but they are a necessity in this part of the world if you're an all weather rider.

I used an FE for about 3 weeks and it was obvious that it was a non-starter for wet weather/winter/corrosives. The fender went back on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No temp tag visible though?

I'd assume almost all cops will pull you over if you have no visible plates.

Once though, a buddy of mine had temp plates and we were riding in the rain, and it got wet and fell off. We pulled over and he put it under his pass. seat incae he got pulled over he could honestly say the cardboard got wet and fell off.
There's a copy of the slip taped to the frame, and the real copy in my wallet at all times, it doesn't indicate where it has to be attached...and the pig didn't do a walk around of the vehicle to look for it.

Its a slip 8" x 3" and as thick as notebook paper...this is what it says on it:

California Vehicle Code Section 4456 provides that a vehicle displaying a copy of it's Report of Sale (This Document) may be operated without license plates or registration card until either of the following, whichever occurs first: (1) the license plates and registration card are received by the purchaser; or (2) a six month period, commencing with the date of sale of the vehicle, has expired.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Then that would be CA then, there's a federal grant to get bikes off the road right now in some areas.

Go around Mulholland (snake) or Angels Crest and there's pigs everywhere you look.

Got a ticket last week for no plates even after showing my paperwork that said i was waiting for plates.
Ah, pigs. You're one of those.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts