Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a Big Dog Chopper (don't remember the model) w/ a 124 cubic inch motor and 6 speed.

A buddy of mine bought one a couple weeks ago and came by the shop with it today. Offered me to take it for a ride, and who am I to insult him by saying no?  ;D If he wouldn't have offered, I wouldn't have asked tho. Asking to ride someone's $40k bike is kind of like asking to borrow someone's wife.

There is absolutely NO comparison to riding style to any sport bike. So no flames on HD's or choppers being slow (this one is NOT), don't handle (tho I have comments on that), etc etc.

First, with 124 cubic inches, this thing has more torque than ANY sport bike you have ridden (Except maybe turbo/nitrous busa's). For that matter, it also makes more HP than most anything less than 1000 cc's. This one was dyno'd at around 125hp, and about 150 ft pounds of torque. You can be in 6th gear, running 30 mph, and still not be in the "Wrong" gear. It pulls harder at the speed in that gear than our 650's in first gear. The power is just plain awesome. This thing would definately SPANK our 650's, and would probably put a hurting on any 600SS bike out there.

2nd - Ride quality and comfort is much better than my naked SV. Kind of surprised me, since most choppers SUCK for either (this particular one was a soft tail which likely had lots to do with ride quality). Very smooth (other than engine vibes) ride.

3rd - Handling...it handles like, well, like a chopper. I was only running about 25 - 30 through some curves (run them on the SV at around 60), and was dangerously close to scraping pegs, exhaust, primary drive, and any other "low hanging" hard parts. I don't really consider that a negative tho, b/c it's a chopper.  Steering was extremely heavy - I can't decide if it was the 250 series tire, or the extremely long stretch/rake it had (likely both - and it NEEDED that wide tire for TRACTION, not just for posing in this case). Regardless, handling/twisties is not what this bike is about. As I said, it doesn't compare to a sportbike.

For what the bike is, I'd rate it a 7.5 out of 10 (no tach,  heavy steering, and being a cookie cutter bike is what hurts it for me). Very good quality, nice fit and finish, etc. If I ever get rich (think Bill Gates rich), I'll definately have me something like this. Until then, I'll keep my sportbike(s). :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd be too scared to sit on a $40k bike :eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
sounds fun! any pics?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No pics, as it was just a short 10 - 15 minute ride.

As far as being afraid to ride a $40k bike, well, it's wierd sitting on something worth that much.

Even if I would have crashed it, the guy would have likely been cool about it. He's in his 40's and I've known him since I was about 8 or so. Super nice guy, and fairly wealthy. He could have bought another.

Never the less, I'm glad I didn't have to buy a $40k bike today.  :p

EDIT: I did manage to flood the bike while trying to start it. :-[ Damn carb'd bikes.... ;D

·
Registered
81 Posts
and how did it sound? ;D
are your ears still ringing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damo said:
and how did it sound?  ;D
are your ears still ringing?
You ever been to the dragstrip and watch the top fuel cars run? Well, it wasn't too far off from that. :D

Very loud with the straight pipes, but the sound was not like your typical annoying HD. High compression and 124 cubes make for a ground pounding beast. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
eeeeek said:
I went the other way and rode a 999R on the track.  The  thought of wrecking a $35,000 bike went away after a few laps.
Opposite end of the spectrum, 'eh?  ;D

How'd you like your ride?

edit: I'm assuming it was the total oposite of my ride (except for power). Easy to turn, nothing to drag, and a torture rack? ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts