Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy bought a brand new cbr 600 rr today and since he doesnt have his motorcycle license yet I rode it home for him. Let me tell you.....it doesnt take much to let you know how inferior the brakes and suspension are on our bikes. I am not really thrilled by the power of the motor on the cbr below 7K. It seems rather lethargic which im sure most I4 bikes are. Once you get it over that mark..then it really comes to life. It does make 30 more HP than our bikes do but ours do make more torque. If suzuki could combine the SV motor with the suspension and brakes of a bike like that..I think they would have a pretty perfect bike. Needless to say...my gixxer shock is going on this week and springs and new pads will be ordered shortly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do a good setup of forks, shock, brakes and tires, and then see who is pulling on who at the track....take an easy to ride bike and make it handle and stop better, and it becomes even easier to ride (fast)!

That said, I'd love to try riding one of the newer 600ss bikes. A guy at work has a 1000RR, I might try to finagle a swap ride and see what it's like.

·
Registered
551 Posts
my best friend has an 03 600rr. i rode it the day i got my bike and license. its super smooth!!! but yeah...nothing under 7k!!! completley different bike than ours! but the sound of it is intoxicating.....altho when i get my holeshot i will be addicted to that sound instead!!!haha

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fully agree..the sound of an uncorked vtwin like ours is very sweet. I cant tell you how many people have told me how great it sounds!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the CBR600RR feels like a torture rack especially compared to the F4i. I just got an '02 CBR1100XX....yeah it feels a little heavier than the 600's.....but not a whole lot.....awesome brakes, decent suspension and smooth power everwhere and anywhere and decent comfort.....at 7K rpm it feels like it's on nitrous :twisted:

·
Registered
284 Posts
To me the seating position of the 600rr is more comfortable than my SVS. I'm about 6'2" so I found this very surprising.

-josh

·
Registered
67 Posts
my buddy is pickin up his '05 cbr 600rr this weekend, hopefully i get to ride it in the not too distant future

and the suspension is kinda bad on the sv, im pretty sure i bottomed the front fork out on a bump in the middle of a turn through an intersetction :shock:

·
Registered
97 Posts
For my money, I prefer not to have to work so hard to keep my bike in the prime RPM range. The thing I don't like about a middleweight I4 is that you have to ride it like a bat out of hell to keep it in the powerband. I opted for an SVS, and modifiying it with better suspension. Plus, I absolutely love that V-twin sound through my Holeshot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
pm1964 said:
For my money, I prefer not to have to work so hard to keep my bike in the prime RPM range. The thing I don't like about a middleweight I4 is that you have to ride it like a bat out of hell to keep it in the powerband. I opted for an SVS, and modifiying it with better suspension. Plus, I absolutely love that V-twin sound through my Holeshot.
uhg this again.

This is the same old "I-4's are dogs below 7k" stuff again. Sure, they don't start making a high% of their peak RPM until higher RPM than a twin, but consider their redlines. Lets take the 600rr the OP was talking about. It has a redline of 15k, thus at 7k its still got 8k left. An SV reds at 10.5... So exactly how much torque is your SV putting out at 2.5k RPM?

We all love our SVs, but for gods sake many people around here talk like I-4s are two-stroke dirt bikes.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
for gods sake who cares if it doesnt make gobs of power below 7k or if its uncomfortable to cruise around on... it does what its made to do (go fast on a race track) very well.

its a purpose built race bike.. some one buy me one please

1 - 11 of 11 Posts