Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for a few years but until now it has always just been me but my kid was with a friend and his Mom for the day so I asked my wife if she wanted to go for a ride. I gave her my spare RF1000, she put on some jeans and a jean jacket (I know, not proper gear but I wasn't about to go out and drop hundreds of dollars on gear for her for 1 ride if she didn't like it).

Anyway, it was a lot different riding with her on the back of my bike. My wife is 5'4" and 120lbs so it's not like she's overweight at all but adding 100lbs to a motorcycle is huge! Stopping took longer and she would slide into me so my wrists took more abuse. I told her to grip me with her legs so she wouldn't slide into me so much and to hold on tightly when we were taking off along with the usual don't counter lean, lean with the bike etc.

Overall, she was a pretty good passenger and she had a blast and wants to ride with me again. I'm going to start looking for some gear for her. Should be able to find some decent deals on craigslist I bet. Next time we ride I'm going to dial some more pre-load into the rear shock too and maybe bump up the tire pressures a bit too.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Its a disease. From the first time my missus rode as passenger it was then all out to get her license and her own bike, she loved it that much.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Its a disease. From the first time my missus rode as passenger it was then all out to get her license and her own bike, she loved it that much.
That is exactly how it was with my wife. I prefer it that way though. I like taking people who want rides out but I prefer riding solo.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
That's great that you guys had a great time out together! Probably won't be long before you hear "Honey........ I want an SV!" ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dying to get my girl riding... she loves riding on the back so we talked about it and I bought her a 1000 dollar cb250.

Now shes just working on getting the paperwork (moving to PA from MI) - so that she can take the class for free...

Worried she isn't as enthusiastic about it as I've been... haha

As for riding with a passenger- yes the SV doesn't like it (most bikes don't) - you loose a lot of your front wheel grip so that makes everything more difficult...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
My fiancee loves riding with me.

Tell your wife (if she goes again) to put her hands on the tank, so when you are braking she can hold her weight (and your wrists wont hurt). Once I explained that to my fiancee, sometimes I have to double check to see if shes still there!

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Word of advice, if your wife's arms are long enough, tell her to slide them under your arms (under your armpits) and place them on the tank, that helps in braking... this usually works though if the riding position is more aggressive, if you're straight up then it might not work.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My girlfriend keeps pushing to ride with me, but cant seem to remember to wear jeans and good shoes when she comes up. I have given others short rides and honestly i hated it, everything was uncomfortable and the chance of them getting hurt from a crash took all the fun out of it.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My fiancee loves riding with me.

Tell your wife (if she goes again) to put her hands on the tank, so when you are braking she can hold her weight (and your wrists wont hurt). Once I explained that to my fiancee, sometimes I have to double check to see if shes still there!
That's a good idea, I'll tell her that next time we go out!

Thanks for the tip.

Dying to get my girl riding... she loves riding on the back so we talked about it and I bought her a 1000 dollar cb250.

Now shes just working on getting the paperwork (moving to PA from MI) - so that she can take the class for free...

Worried she isn't as enthusiastic about it as I've been... haha

As for riding with a passenger- yes the SV doesn't like it (most bikes don't) - you loose a lot of your front wheel grip so that makes everything more difficult...
Not on the SV anymore but yeah, the Ducati is not much better for 2 up riding than an SV. Taking off from a light was probably the biggest difference because now you are trying to move an extra 100lbs so the clutch takes more abuse... especially uphill. That and braking. Turns were easy as long as she didn't move around or counter lean.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Word of advice, if your wife's arms are long enough, tell her to slide them under your arms (under your armpits) and place them on the tank, that helps in braking... this usually works though if the riding position is more aggressive, if you're straight up then it might not work.
+1 and x 100

I don't know what it is but my wifes pants never want to stick to the seat when I brake, so i was always having to try and catch her in addition to braking. When I told her to put her hands on the tank, it was like night and day.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts