Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Great video, and great message... Thanks for re-posting, there's nothing wrong in a reminder.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think this video should be shown at every MSF beginner course. I was surprised how little they went over gear in the course. Pretty much leaves you to do your own research. But not everybody is so proactive. Something like this is a great reminder to wear ATGOTT. It's horrible what happened to her. But very noble of her to essentially make spreading awareness about the dangers of not wearing gear her life's work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My padded jacket and gloves save my shoulder and hands from getting eaten up when I was cut off on the interstate and ended up on the ground. May have even saved me from a broken collarbone. I didn't hit anything, but had to stop too fast and hit the ground instead of the van that cut me off...

My helmet hit the ground 3 times. front, back, and side.

Bike slid up the middle lane, i rolled up the right.

I got up, picked up my bike, and drove it home.

Always wear your gear.

And this is a good reminder -- i need to get my wife a good motorcycle jacket.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
We met Brittney Morrow at the International Motorcycle Show this winter. She is a passionate person when it comes to motorcycle gear. We went and talked to her one on one after her presentation and found her to be very pleasant. Anytime I get any grief about wearing 'too much' gear (and I'm not even fully ATGATT) I refer people to her site.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I take the time to educate people. Family, friends, coworkers, and strangers. Strangers usually ask if I am hot in all the gear or isn't it a lot of trouble to get it all on all the time. I say yes, but I would rather deal with this then to deal with the injuries that I will face after a crash. Their response is usually in agreement. This is why I don't think that people don't know what will happen to them in a crash, but more people don't think it will happen to them.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
make the best of a bad situation.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah.....fixed :p

I finally found her article describing the accident/aftermath, and got to see the video.

My only problem with her story is it's easy for someone to dismiss because the rider was being irresponsible. Could also be said she was an uneducated passenger (afraid of holding onto the rider). Blah blah blah. Makes it easy for someone to dismiss it without understanding it's not about HOW she got injured, but the extent of her injuries due to not wearing proper gear.

It's unfortunately too easy for someone to say "I don't ride 120mph" and dismiss it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The only thing I don't agree with is how she says the consequences of not wearing gear is not common sense. Skin sliding across pavement...pretty easy for me to guess what will happen. Ever had rug burn? :icon_biggrin:

I think Digasi is right in that it's not that people don't know, it's that they don't believe it will happen to them. I guess some people never realize they aren't invincible.

It's a good message she is putting out and I hope that she has and will continue to reach people but unfortunately I'm guessing the majority of those who don't wear gear aren't going to change.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Confession time: Before MSF as a passenger the extent of my gear was sunglasses. During MSF the instructor handed around some magazines and it had an article about her. It immediately made me realize the extent of how bad it really COULD be. That day we bought real gear.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I admire her for taking a bad thing and turning it around for good. Haven't been to the rtg website for a long time. IIRC, the message is about wearing gear, and it's good to stay focused, but I would like to see it emphasize the "Don't Ride with Idiots" and "Don't Ride Like an Idiot" aspects of the injuries as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
She is one of our local KY girls! Ironic, considering that KY doesn't even have a helmet law, LOL!
I am a huge advocate for ATGATT. There are so many options now for breathable gear that I don't take "It's too hot!" as an excuse.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
The only thing I don't agree with is how she says the consequences of not wearing gear is not common sense. Skin sliding across pavement...pretty easy for me to guess what will happen. Ever had rug burn? :icon_biggrin:
Common sense ain't that common. I've stopped people from picking up a red hot crucible with bare hands and retrieving a hair driver from a sink full of water. Those were pretty obvious no nos to me, but hey . . ..

She has a gruesome story to tell. Some will listen, some won't. Some people are just morons. You can't change that.

And yes, all you a-holes that don't wear gear and will continue to not wear gear after reading that girl's tale, I've just called you a moron. I mean that in the clinical sense, i.e., "a person of borderline intelligence in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69."

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts
Datech, thanks for (re)sharing this.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Safety Adviser
879 Posts
She is a great person, I also had the chance to meet and work with Britteny and we had dinner a couple times together and talked shop, teaching, bikes etc. very nice person with a good message.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts