Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
problem solved, I get the best of both worlds: My brother and a friend of his wants to go also, but they wanna do it by car. So I'll take as much stuff as I want and stuff it in his car while I ride the bike. We're probably gonna stick one of those huge 6 person tents in the car too. So I get to have my "bare bones" ride, but if I wimp out I just have to grab what I need from his car!

Hopefully he won't back out last minute, he tends to do that sometimes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've been on a few long 2 week trips on my sv and my tools have always gone to fix other people's bike not mine. zip ties. and take care of your chain. Oil change along the way depending on your route and speed and of course actual milage maybe new tires mid trip. Just give the bike FULL inspection each morning/evening and you can catch many problems before they become serious. I've been know to cary extra gas in a small stove fuel bottle when riding with bikes with longer tank ranges. running out of gas in the middle of the desert backroads sucks.

have fun!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
blue_sv650 said:
What's wrong with leaves?
Grab a hold of a handful of stinging nettles or poision oak in the dark and wipe your butt with it!

It was an experience that my brother never forgot ...

TP is good for that, first aid, cleaning, and as many other creative uses you can think off.

G

·
TS80 said:
no rain gear
well, some of the 'square' states have a monsoon season, and you can run into scattered thunder storms.
I'm not expert, but you might want to keep that in mind if you haven't already.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Everyone seems to unanimously agree that rain gear is a must. Since I'll be able to store stuff in my brother's car I guess I'll have to buy a set. I have been caught in rain only a couple of times, only one of which was severe. I was fine, but the weather was 50 degrees at the time, and the ride was only an hour.

Rain gear it is. I'm easily swayed.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
TS80 said:
Everyone seems to unanimously agree that rain gear is a must. Since I'll be able to store stuff in my brother's car I guess I'll have to buy a set. I have been caught in rain only a couple of times, only one of which was severe. I was fine, but the weather was 50 degrees at the time, and the ride was only an hour.

I've grown to love riding in the rain. As long as you have capable gear, the rain is never an issue.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
blue_sv650 said:
What's wrong with leaves?
leaves don't work well, they are not absorbent , sphagnum moss or club mosses work well , some types of pine cones work too. but it's much handier to keep a partial roll of TP in a ziplock baggie

I don't carry much more with me when I travel then I carry every day

under my  seat are SV tool kit, owners manual, registration, insurance, fuses, light bulbs, $20 and a siphon hose

in my saddlebags
right side
air compressor/battery back , tire repair kit, micro fiber towels, waterlass hand cleaner, duct tape & zip ties
left side,
pint  ATF for my scottoiler, litre of engine oil, first aid kit,  1 change of underwear, t shirt  & socks in a ziplock, spare shifter

I always habe a backpack bungeed to the rear seat, in that I keep my electric jacket liner if I'm not wearing it, spare shield, flashlight (a batteryless LED light that you shake)  microfiber cloths and shield cleaner (I use Rain-x brand winter windshield wash fluid) spare gloves, and neos overboots

if ZI'm travelling about the only extra is 2-3 days of cloths in a stuff sack, maybe some maps, my electric repair kit (small soldering iron, solder, needlenose & side cutter pliers, few pieces of shrink tube * electrical tape ) and my portable radio

seems like quite often, I break something in my wiring between my radar detector and the speakers in my helmet, I forget sometimes and walk away from my bike without first unplugging  ny helmet cord

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sounds like you'll have your own pit crew behind you. Now your only worry is hoping you didn't lose them while you wait for them to catch up at the bottom of the mountain. You should see if you can get a pickup in case you break down.

·
Registered
408 Posts
TS80 said:

Just buy gear that is waterproof and you'll have the rain gear covered. I ride with the First Gear Overpants (waterproof) and the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket (also waterproof). So when the rain starts I just keep riding and stay as dry as someone with real rain gear on.

See, now you don't have to buy rain gear.....

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
Just buy gear that is waterproof and you'll have the rain gear covered.  I ride with the First Gear Overpants (waterproof) and the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket (also waterproof).  So when the rain starts I just keep riding and stay as dry as someone with real rain gear on.

See, now you don't have to buy rain gear.....
I have always had waterproof gear (currently FirstGear HT pants & jacket) the only raingear I have is my Neos overboots

21 - 31 of 31 Posts