Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that's all I can think of to call them- guys on big bikes with saddlebags and loud pipes that can't split because a cage is hugging (or a bit close to) the yellow line in the HOV lane. They get next to the car and rev it up (braaap braaap braaaaaaaaap) until the car moves over, and then they glare at the driver while passing, and finally they point to the left to inform the driver that they need to leave more room for the louder motorcycles. Occasionally, there's a bit of head-wagging.

IMHO, this is not good PR for the motorcycle crowd. If you disagree, that's fine. I just need to vent my frustration.

The only way that I know of to deal with it is to eventually get in front and lead by example. Most people, if they are blocking a lane-splitter, will move over- even without the pipe serenade. I think most people are naturally courteous and sympathetic. Once in a while, they get a bit close to the line, and I don't feel the need to chastise them for it. I'm moving along better than 99.9% of all of the cars, so it is a small inconvenience to slow down or even stop. My thinking is that people appreciate the low-key approach. I'll give a thank-you wave after I pass.

As for the loud pipes, pointing, and head-wagging, I think they should have a turd put in their mailbox.

There. That's better. Thanks everybody.

Fersuredude

·
Registered
221 Posts
Loud pipes in general are a horrible "PR" move for motorcycles, but in this scenario, yes, they are even worse. The only time I even acknowledge a driver who inconveniences me when splitting is when they see me coming and intentionally move over to try to block me. Even then I just shake my head sadly while going around them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only had one person intentionally block me- a truck, and he slowed down and rode at the edge of the lane (and then turned his windshield washers on for me). Even then, I just waited until he had to get off of the freeway, passed him, and didn't even glance over. He probably deserved the finger, but I don't get upset too easily.

Just the other day some bonehead coming down the avenue missed a driveway, so he/she crossed the double yellow to make an illegal u-turn, and then stopped in my lane diagonally to wait for traffic to pass. After some hard braking on my part, I zipped around the car and smacked the mirror (not too hard) to let him/her know that I was not pleased with that move. No damage, of course. It was meant as a wake up call.

Usually, I don't let anything bother me, and I just move along knowing that it's all part of the game, and that people make mistakes.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I think loud pipes are for morons. It drives me insane when I see a Craigslist ad talking about loud pipes as if it's a selling point ("a real attention getter") . Um. that's the wrong kind of attention, you idiot. I think they deserve more than a turd in their mailbox.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts