Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install these and have the throttle really sticky afterwards? I put mine on today and after making sure both throttle cables were on correctly and not catching on anything it still sticks open!! Any advice will help!

·
Registered
467 Posts
you probably slid them on too close to the "electrical box thingy." i know my vocabulary is amazing. see if you cant back it off the handle a bit so there is about a 3mm gap. that should solve your problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a little bit of play to move the grip towards and away from "the electrical box thingy" but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The cables do seem a little tighter than when on the stock throttle. Can I get some slack from somewhere else in the cable housing?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I think you need to add some slack to the throttle cables. there are adjuster nuts under rubber covers on the cables about 9 inches down from the throttle tube.

·
Registered
908 Posts
not knowing exactly how these grips work, i have a few questions... do they come with their own throttle tube? if they don't, could it be that the grips are slightly too tight on the throttle tube and pinching it to your bars? were they hard to get on? i don't see why changing the grips would effect the cables otherwise...

·
Registered
908 Posts
tcl - did you pull up next to me on bleeker street a few weeks ago and talk to me for a little bit? i had a girl on the back. black fairings and a red tank and tail. if you're who i am thinking of, i saw you making a left from houston onto bowery last week i think too and i gave my engine a few revs while you were taking the turn.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Not sure is this could be the case, but when I swapped grips on both my 650 & 1000 the throttle seemed to stick. As it turned out the grips were a little long & the bar ends when tightened down pinched the grip causing it to stick. Easy solution was to cut the grips down a little bit so there was no rub on the bar ends. Both bikes work great now.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
tcl - did you pull up next to me on bleeker street a few weeks ago and talk to me for a little bit? i had a girl on the back. black fairings and a red tank and tail. if you're who i am thinking of, i saw you making a left from houston onto bowery last week i think too and i gave my engine a few revs while you were taking the turn.
No, i'm still reassembling my now puzzle-bike on the sidewalk downstairs from a crash in december.

i'm pretty sure that the rizoma grip DOES replace the throttle tube' hence my guess.

·
Registered
467 Posts
so the rizomas DO replace the throttle tube: try taking apart the cable housing again, make sure there is enough clearance and that the push/pull cables are properly installed. LUBRICATE the cable housing. that should fix it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
one of the ducati owners mentioned an issue inherent with the "universal design" : The Monster throttle housing had a channel that didn't line up with the Rizoma Grip. I had to use a Dremel and grind down part of the plastic on the grip that was interfering, and thus I had the glue the gear on to the new grip. Major PITA, but it worked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the info. I think the throttle housing is good to go since I tested it for proper fit before I put the cables on. I'll try to give them more slack. For future reference or for those thinking of buying Rizomas....you do have to replace the entire grip including the plastic throttle sleeve. Cheers!!

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Cable is too tight - loosen up the adjuster & you'll be good to go.
I think the cam is slightly bigger on the Rizomas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
O.K. for all those that said the cables were too tight...you are the winners!!! So simple now that I know...I feel like a dork, but it was a learning experience!! For all future Rizoma owners follow these simple guidelines.
1) Loosen the cables first before you do anything.
2) unscrew the tensioner just below the handlebars and undo the cables from the stock throttle tube, it's a snap.
3) Remove throttle tube.
4) Put Rizoma grip on and reconnect cables.
5) Tighten tensioner to your liking.
6) Ride like HELL!!
Cheers, and thanks for all the info
P.S. Anyone want to come to my house and swap the front and rear suspension with me? Gixxer forks and a ZX 10 shock out back. My wife's a mean cook!!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
O.K. for all those that said the cables were too tight...you are the winners!!!
If I had a garage instead of sidewalk, and it was a simple matter for me to go inside and just ask here how to do something, I would figure far less out on my own.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Here are the Rizoma Lux grips on my TL
Also feature Rizoma 29mm bars & Riser Clamps and Bar-Ends & Reverse Retro Mirrors

Rizoma Sportline Grips (on my Daytona)
Also features Rizoma Limt Naked mirrors and Rizoma Bars & Bar-Ends

1 - 20 of 25 Posts