Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the process of doing a GSXR front end swap on my '04 SV50S.

From what I read, I can use the GSXR clip-ons with my stock controls, but they seem much lower than my SV clip-ons.

So.. does anyone have a recommendation for rised 50mm clips-on? Closest to stock would be best, but I wouldn't mind higher, if the GSXR brake lines are long enough.

Thanks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I used TL-S clipons on my bike (has 2001 GSXR1K front end). Problem is, they only work with older top clamps that have the set screw. The newer GSXR top clamps use a set tab. I suppose the set screw/tab is not absolutely necessary, but it is nice to have it.

Here are some pics for comparison:
TL on the left

The TL clipons are not really that tall, but they are pretty close to the original SV-S clipon height, which helps for clearance if you have the S model fairings. IMHO, the GSXR clipons are too close to the fairings.

FYI: the GSXR brake lines might not be long enough. I had to change mine out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! And yes, I do have the "S" fairings. Haven't tried the GSXR clip-ons yet, do they touch the fairing while turning, or are they just really close?

I think the Swat 1 1/2'' or TLS clip-ons are pretty much what I'm looking for anyway.

Also, have you guys all had to change your brake lines?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I used stock GSXR and now some higher Heli bars with no problem but the Heli`s (they ones I have are roughly like stock SVS clip ons) are getting very close to the fairing on a 1. Gen.

I also have a set of high LSL clip ons but I haven`t installed them yet.

Personally I like the design of the Swatt ones, since they allow you to change them with out taking the upper triple off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i got the woodcraft 2inch raise clipons with my gsxr forks, they feel somewhat close to stock, and i didnt need to change the brake lines, i have a naked though so i dont know if urs is an S but it might have shorter throttle cables?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Stock CBR1000RR/954 bars work well and are about half way between the stock GSXR and SV bars.

I've also used stock Ducati 900SS bars. They have more rise than the SV stock clipons, but are still a bit lower than stock naked bars.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Just a FYI, but Bill from SWATT is backed up a few weeks. I ordered from him but my card kept getting declined (still not sure why hmm) I later just went with woodcraft set from Blair and got a killer deal, they arrived on my doorsteps only 24 hours after my order. In fact he mailed it just before I paid because he wanted it to go on that truck. well that and I been dealing with him for a while, lol.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
I think the Swat 1 1/2'' or TLS clip-ons are pretty much what I'm looking for anyway.

Also, have you guys all had to change your brake lines?
the 1-1/2" swatts are *lower* than the factory SV clip-ons. they are measured differently. you will want the 2-1/2" model, or 3-1/2" and just run them lower.

regarding control cables/wires, it was a bit of a journey, they are snug buy *do* work with the bulky swatt clip-on design. some notes:
  • the throttle-cable had to be routed over the *top* of the bar.
  • could *not* use the GSXR master-cylinder -- banjo routing was incompatible w/ the riser dimensions
  • electrics had to be re-routed around the fork tube

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I used the SWATT 3.5" risers and had no real issues using a GSXR radial MC.
FWIW I used stock SV naked throttle and clutch cables (didn't need to route over) and Galfer dual lines that are the length needed or a naked SV (my bike used to be naked)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Or you can just lower your fairing. I just custom made some brackets out of aluminum. That pretty much solved all of my clearance problems. Just a thought.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was just doing the mach up for my new gsxr conversion, and went to put my controls on my gsxr clipons and WHAT There is a small hole on the bottom of the GSXR "handle part" where your kill switch on the right, and light switch on the left are supposed to go. The kill, and light switch have a small notch inside of them that fits perfectly in the hole, but one problem.... the controls are then upside down!!! If I try to put them right side up, it doesnt fit in the hole and there is a gap caused because the controls wont fit flush on the bars. What do I do? Am I missing something? or do i just have to grind that knob down inside of the controls to make it work, or drill a new hole in the clip ons?? Anyone?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts