Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
very big dumb
8,894 Posts
:(

crazy. this is why ccw should be more common.

also, this even sucks for the people that didn't get shot and will probably have ptsd now

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Re: Shooting at Batman Movie Premier

Wow really? When the other thread is right there at the top of the list? Come on, man. ::)

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
The conceal to carry crap is pointless to talk about in this situation. When the guy just starts opening fire there is no time to think or react to what the hell is going on it's just mass chaos.

Wouldn't have made a difference unless we are talking about John Mcclain or James bond.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
The conceal to carry crap is pointless to talk about in this situation. When the guy just starts opening fire there is no time to think or react to what the hell is going on it's just mass chaos.

Wouldn't have made a difference unless we are talking about John Mcclain or James bond.
I don't believe that for a second. Lots of people go through training to deal with just those situations.

From what I've read on this story, the guy walked in through the emergency exit, Through a teargas-type device, and just slowly walked up and down the aisles shooting. IF someone was carrying they could have put a stop to this. But that information hasn't been presented in any of the articles I've read or news stories I've watched.

Like this 71 year old fella who shot some punks trying to boost an internet cafe. You can see from his actions and movements that he's got training in using a firearm in that situation. He waits till the gunman is turned around, then takes action. Everyone else was frozen or shocked, and the man with training takes action.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I don't believe that for a second. Lots of people go through training to deal with just those situations.

From what I've read on this story, the guy walked in through the emergency exit, Through a teargas-type device, and just slowly walked up and down the aisles shooting. IF someone was carrying they could have put a stop to this. But that information hasn't been presented in any of the articles I've read or news stories I've watched.

Like this 71 year old fella who shot some punks trying to boost an internet cafe. You can see from his actions and movements that he's got training in using a firearm in that situation. He waits till the gunman is turned around, then takes action. Everyone else was frozen or shocked, and the man with training takes action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YffbN29XOs
The local news here (I'm in Denver) just reported that a handgun has been found in a woman's purse under a seat in the theater. It looks like at least one person there was carrying...

There is also a huge difference between stopping an armed robber who wants to take some money and flee as quickly as possible vs. a psychopath with multiple guns who is trying to kill as many people as possible.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
The local news here (I'm in Denver) just reported that a handgun has been found in a woman's purse under a seat in the theater. It looks like at least one person there was carrying...
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the presence of a gun in the possession of a "good guy/gal" immediately means that things would have been different. Had that woman taken action if she was able to things might have turned out differently. But of course in a situation like this no one could say what WOULD have happened. We can only speculate on the possibilities, and attempt to figure out what DID happen.

Do I blame people that were carrying but didn't do anything. Absolutely not.(I'm not saying that you are accusing me of this, just saying it) Especially in such a crowded environment. I was only making the point that just because there is chaos and panic does not mean that no one would be capable of stopping the shooter. There plenty of cases that show this.

CCW is not a fix all solution by any means

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I love the hero fantasies the CCW crowd has. :(

It's a dark movie theater, he threw in a smoke or tear gas bomb before he went in, and he was completely outfitted with body armor, head to toe. Total chaos when he started firing. Way more likely an armed response would have added to the body count rather than taking that guy out.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
It's a dark movie theater, he threw in a smoke or tear gas bomb before he went in, and he was completely outfitted with body armor, head to toe. Total chaos when he started firing. Way more likely an armed response would have added to the body count rather than taking that guy out.
Rational thought is incampatible with the gun-lobby narrative, Rich. Regardless of the facts, regardless of the situation, regardless of any sort of legal or constiutional argument or rationale, every situation is better if everybody is highly armed. I recall only a single event (a church shooting in Texas) where a gun-carrying bystander was able to take down an armed assailant in a public surprise shooting circumstance. There may have been others. I would love to see some data on this isuse.

But the triple appeals of the gun lobby are fear, anger and machismo. Fear that evil is everywhere and is out to get YOU; anger that other people don't get what they deserve while you have to put up with all the sh*t shoveled at you; and the machismo Dirty Harry fantasy that you really are the hero you imagine yourself to be.

There's an inherent weird impracticality with the current CCW laws, at least the ones I've been exposed to. Most business and building can, AND HAVE, declared themselves CCW-free areas. The Aurora CO. movie theater couldvery well ahve been such a place. If everywhere you go is a no-carry location, how does the Dirty Harry fantasy ever really happen?

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
I love the hero fantasies the CCW crowd has. :(

pretty much. On top of that you are comparing an internet cafe filled with what...a dozen people? To a a theater with easily 100+.

Like I said...unless John McClain or James Bond...

On top of that, someone said "people with CCW are trained to handle these scenarios.."

I didn't realize there was a training course to obtain a CCW license that involves stopping a mass murderer in a heavily populated area with tear gas and a hundred people running and screaming in differnet directiions.

If there is, I plead ignorance but I highly doubt it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts