Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well about a week ago i decided to order some wheel tape as it was only 8 bucks and it showed up so a couple days ago i put it on. now i cant decide whether i like it or not and i figured i should see what you guys thought in all of your wisdom. i also didnt take any before pictures but these where the best i could find to show the wheels

before

im also not sold on the chrome headlight housing, and might switch it to black. thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats actually an old Yamaha headlight, but I thought it would fit in a stock bucket I have but I just checked and it's a little too big. I'm waiting to get some 5 3/4" duals so I guess I'll jut have to leave it like that until I can.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, this stuffs actually. Not very reflective. I mean it'll obviously be seen better in the dark but it's not like others where with a flash on it looks like neon lights, it just looks the same

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
443 Posts
I like rim tape, I installed it on mine, same thing $6 on ebay and it is reflective. I think it ads to the look of the bike and it is definately reflective at night:

Underground parking garage no flash:

This is underground parking garage flash taken on my cell phone:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have to agree with UHATEIT, as it does give the bike's wheels a somewhat better appearance, plus, due to the reflectivity, it adds a measure of safety at night. I'm seriously considering it for my bike.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I ended up keeping it on. I was still feeling like I was fine with it on or off but kept getting compliments from everyone who saw it. so with that and the added safety it just made sense :)

Sent from my phone

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sexy!

I am looking to do some rim tape. I'm just back and forth between silver and orange.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I got black rim tape and you cant see it during the day but i still get the safety features at night. Its great when people are trying to park cars around your bike. These reflect a lot so my black bike is seen much better.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it was actually pretty simple for me. i didn't have a stand rear or front, i just did in my garage and rolled it back and forth to get around the wheels. mine came in pre-curved strips so i could do it part by part without a whole role hanging off it while i moved the bike.
the first side probably took me about 40 minutes, experimenting with the curve and where to set it on the rim, putting it on, peeling it off and resetting it. second one took about 1/2 an hour, third 20 minutes and the last one only took about 15 minutes. its just getting comfortable with it and trusting it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have some on mine for a year now. It looks more stylish and gives. Better visibility. I have the blue ones, but I know red looks good too and it is more visible than blue.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
443 Posts
just realized I already posted in this thread last month with my picture on page 1!

BTW I think the red tape looks great on a red bike, really stands out!

·
Registered
71 Posts
just realized I already posted in this thread last month with my picture on page 1!
Only 28, and already having "senior moments" (aka "brain farts")...LOL...j/k. I'm 44, and I have plenty of them, myself. Anyway, yea, the red does look good, and is more visible, but with me having a blue bike, as is yours, I'm thinking of getting the blue tape, which will go extremely nicely on my bike's black rims. The previous owner had them painted black, but I'm considering (a few/several months down the line) either having them powder-coated, or replacing them with something along the lines of GSXR wheels. My bike is a 2000 SV650. Any suggestions as to which wheels would be the best choices, which would also require little/no modifications?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more thing about installation, make sure your clean your rims well before hand. I used DW-40 to some of the thick crap off on the chain side and then wiped them all down with rubbing alcohol. Cleaning them well will make a big difference.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Only 28, and already having "senior moments" (aka "brain farts")...LOL...j/k. I'm 44, and I have plenty of them, myself. Anyway, yea, the red does look good, and is more visible, but with me having a blue bike, as is yours, I'm thinking of getting the blue tape, which will go extremely nicely on my bike's black rims. The previous owner had them painted black, but I'm considering (a few/several months down the line) either having them powder-coated, or replacing them with something along the lines of GSXR wheels. My bike is a 2000 SV650. Any suggestions as to which wheels would be the best choices, which would also require little/no modifications?
I cleaned mine with rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, no WD40 didnt even think of that. I have instaled these on acrs before and they hold up well until its time to change the tire then its hit and miss as to whether the tire co jacks up the tape. But it's so cheap it's easy to replace.

As for wheels I have no idea of the 03+ black wheels will fit on a first gen, someone on here may know???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts