Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never knew that you had to come to a complete stop on a right-on-red and got nabbed at Atlantic entering Brooklyn Bridge. Do I have any way of fighting it?

I was in usual creeping traffic, my speedo probably didn't even register anything we were going so slow. They built a partition so that there's no way that cross traffic can get into the same lane I was turning into. A car in the middle of three lanes to my left completely blocked the pedestrian sidewalk, and I was watching a woman on the sidewalk, who had the don't walk sign, and wasn't moving. I proceeded with complete caution, but did not put my foot down, as if that would make any difference, except to the pocket books of the city.

How can I fight it? Do I say I didn't know? (I can find no mention of it in the driver manual, or on DMV's site, and was never told in classes, etc). Do I say I put my foot down on the left side, out of sight of the cop?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
yeah your supposed to treat the red light like a stop sign when making a right onred

im not gonna lie though im like half and half, sometimes i dont, sometimes i do

but if u were really going that slow, like just using clutch control and clearly made

sure that you were completely clear to go, IMO the cop was being a dousche

and had nothing better to do

EDIT: and yeah it does depend on where you are, im in florida so its

completely legal unless posted that its not

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
sure that you were completely clear to go, IMO the cop was being a dousche
at least to new yorkers, it is a WELL KNOWN FACT that cops take ZERO sh!t from bikers in NYC. you break even the littlest law and you're gettin popped.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
yeah i remember that too...my mom used to get pulled over all the time, i grew up in nyc

and moved to florida three years before i got my license, so i cant talk from my own

experience, but i CAN say my mom payed alot of money in stupid tickets

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it was a right-on-red sign. And thanks for those kind words, jbswear. Yeah, I was dragging my knee with the back end sliding out. I gotta get my Gary McCoy on in the morning, you know.

So the concensus is that I'll be paying up? The cop did say "oh we got a bike, great" when he flagged me down. I think there are points for this. Any chance they'd go easy on those in court?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Not only that, in NYC it is always illegal to make a right on red unless it is posted otherwise.
+1. Amazing that you've been in nyc as long as you have without encountering this rule.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a little illustration:

I did not know a full stop is required, especially in the above setup and when going 3mph, but I should have known to be careful as I saw the cops staking out that corner for a while. Will definitely find out if there are points.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm fairly certain there's no right on red in NYC anyways, so it doesn't really matter whether or not you came to a complete stop.

S

·
0 Posts
Tell the judge there was an 80mph tail wind that pushed you through the stop. My father-in-law got nailed not long ago for doing the same thing (cop called it "rolling through the stop").

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I'm sure you came to a complete stop and even put your left foot down. You leaned your head forward to get a better view. This gave the impression that you were still moving since your green helmet stands out against the surrounding of cars. That's what happened, you just don't remember.

Where were they, and did you say anything that they can use?

·
Registered
720 Posts
he probably said "yeah, sorry about that" when the cop confronted him. most people tend to admit guilt almost immediately during a traffic stop. silly.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I might have said I didn't know that a full stop was required but that I proceeded with caution. They probably have everything taped and ready to go. I also got a speeding ticket last August, which is postponed to September of this year. They'll probably use that even though I wasn't found guilty of it yet.

Honestly, I'm considering dropping insurance and just going to trackdays. Riding in the city sucks anyway (some crazy cages) and is no fun. Plus with the disappearing parking, it will sit idle anyway. Though I do enjoy longer rides outside of the city.

·
Registered
253 Posts
LOOK FOR ANY MISTAKES ON THE TICKET. DEFINATLLY FIGHT IT IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO MISS WORK AND GO TO COURT.IF THERES ANY MISTAKES THATS +1 FOR YOU, IF THE COP DOESN'T SHOW THATS ANOTHER +1 FOR YOU. AND IF THE COP WAS ON YOUR RIGHT AND THERE WAS TRAFFIC YOU CAN ALWAYS SAY YOU USED YOUR LEFT FOOT OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND. MOST TIMES IF YOU FIGHT IT IT WILL GET REDUCED OR THROWN OUT IF THE OFFICER DOESN'T SHOW. SH*T SORRY FOR THE CAPS. too far along to cgange it now. let us know what happens.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts