Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking this morning about taking my MP3 player with me for my commute. Do people consider this to be safe/smart? Is it legal, I immagine this can change state to stat so my daily commute takes me from CA -> NV.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i know a lot of people who do it. i havent but the ones i know who do only put the speaker in one ear so they can hear other things

·
Registered
296 Posts
I ride with my mp3 player velcrod to my gas cap. My bike is not loud and I can hear my bike with both plugs in. My boyfriend is in the Army and he got me some special earplugs to put on the earphones. Alot of people ride with earplugs in to block out sound and make a quieter ride. I would much rather listen to music than the voices in my head....

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't when commuting in city traffic, but do while on the superslab. As long as the volume isn't up too high that you can't hear horns, or emergency vehicles or other traffic it should be safe. I wear earplugs anyway so might has well have some tunes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think I'm pretty much on the same page as everyone else.

I use Etymotic ER-6i's. They are a combination of earphones and earplugs.
I don't use them in the city, only long distance rides.
They block out the wind noise and I get to hear my iPod very well. I don't listen to it loudly (the music is quieter than the wind noise would be without the earplugs) so I don't think it's a safety hazard.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Not legal in PA, but I do it constantly anyway.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Cool I was just thinking about this yeasterday. I know that in the state I moved to NC. from it is illegal to ear headphones while driving a car so I assume a bike is the same. I want to wear them on my commute to work to hear my fave radio show but I am thinking it isn't the safest idea. I mean people already don't look out for bikers so we have to look out for their dumbasses and do our best. The only time I wore ear phone I felt like a loser b/c I stalled my bike then realized it was b/c I could not hear my engine, and my bike is loud too...Renagade pipes. If anyone has a wreck b/c of the earphone could you please start a thread and tell us about your crash. Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
I actually mounted some busted headphones up under the padding in my helmet.

I have a stero jack that I want to add to it too, and use a patch cable to connect to any audio device.

Ill post some pictures of it once I clean it up a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ride with one earphone in and keep my ipod in a tankbag. Volume wise, I keep the level so I can hear tunes while traveling 45-50mph, which still allows me to hear everything else.

I know from experience that I can still hear screeching brakes while listening to tunes! :) I'm not sure about local laws, but I'm going to check out the site nudist posted.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've used several different ear buds. I now use SHure E2c. These are awesome. They are the besto fo teh headphones I've tried and I can run teh music at a rather low level. They're a lot like wearing ear plugs, just not as boring.

Yes, it is illegal. It keeps me more alert, though.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
MP3 player on brake reservoir and speakers inside helmet. Great sound up till about 70-80mph, still can hear most sounds around me even over my pipe/engine noise.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i just bought my mp3 player a few days ago. and i,love listening to it when riding. it almost makes the ride go faster :)to work :( but going up to my g/f's house i love it.

i was wondering if it was legal to wear them here in WI. but according to the ama site(thnx for that post nudist ;))its legal ;D.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've tried it a couple times with my CD player setting in the back of my Camelback. Skipped a little on the worst bumps ;D but worked out fine otherwise. I agree with the others... keep it at just the right volume and it kinda falls into the background. This way you still hear your engine and everything else that's going on around you. Was a blast while riding the Cherohala skyway !!

·
Registered
81 Posts
What stops me from doing it isn't not hearing traffic, but getting carried away with the music and not watching the speedo.
It's amazing how much faster I want to go when there's decent music on

D

·
0 Posts
Well gentlemen, my recomendation is to get a bluetoothe capable phone with a mini sd slot. This way you can store 60songs on your phone, along with giving you the capability to wirelessly listen to music and have it playing in one ear. This is the smartest way to go about this bussines, but certianly not the most cost effective; I quote 300 said and done for phone,head set, sd card.

Zarco

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It's not legal where I live, but I have tried it. My helmet has good speakers for my CB radio rig. I found it too distracting and not a little annoying.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
DonZarco said:
Well gentlemen, my recomendation is to get a bluetoothe capable phone with a mini sd slot. This way you can store 60songs on your phone, along with giving you the capability to wirelessly listen to music and have it playing in one ear. This is the smartest way to go about this bussines, but certianly not the most cost effective; I quote 300 said and done for phone,head set, sd card.

Zarco
I like my music in stereo and you'd never get your lid on with one of those things sticking out of your ear.

·
Registered
296 Posts
DonZarco said:

Zarco
$300? and then I only get 60 songs and have to talk to someone on the phone??? naw.......

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
who cares...its worth doing it.... ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts