Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
The closer to the tank you get, the less you get pushed. "Become one with the cycle, Grasshopper" :naughty:
I ride with a small Givi screen, a large tank bag, and a narrow tail bag.
When I am all the way down on the tank bag the difference in crosswind stability is amazing.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Stay loose and relaxed and low. Learn to recognize when the wind will most likely drop or hit harder as you pass buildings, fields and large vehicles. I enjoy riding in windy conditions. In Palm Springs, if you ride up North Indian Canyon Road to Desert Hot Springs after 4pm, you'll find yourself riding across the desert at a 25 degree angle going in a straight line...lol

·
Registered
661 Posts
^ you and your owner's manual, haha.

+1 on just riding in it. To be honest, I deal with side winds instinctively now and just lean into them. I don't even really notice it unless it's a really strong gust or if I'm passing an 18-wheeler.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had tips for dealing with very strong side winds... I'm a new rider and was pushed around a lot today due to the winds.
I feel ya. I was fighting that all the way home yesterday I almost thought something was wrong with the bike. I was getting way more buffeting than normal even though the trees didn't seem to be moving that much.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Aileron to lower a wing into the wind and apply opposite rudder to keep the nose straight. Oh wait. Wrong forum...

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
As many have stated, you get used to it thru practice. Pretty soon you'll realize you're staying still with the bike moving to the side under you, just b/c you're comfy with it, and compensate better.

Also, going faster helps me, I guess because I'm pushing more air out of the way, which creates more of a buffer against a sideways wind.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Remember your counter-steering. Trying to compensate for wind with weight shifting, ect. is pretty slow compared to a quick push on the bar. When the gust stops you've got to push right now to straighten up and fly straight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.