Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering what the average crusing rpm was. i usally go for 4500 any lower and you are to slow to react :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Gotta love the V-Twin tork! I probably shift on average at 7 - 8 K. Still having a hard time getting out of my 600rr mode! I can't believe that the poll is showing average crusing RPM at 4500!!! Maybe in town, cause that's like 50 MPH!

·
Registered
37 Posts
i used to keep it above 6k, but ever since gas started sucking i just try to keep it above 5k

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Well I use them all, try to keep them lower while crusing in the open but tend to run them higher while in traffic for quick burst of speed.

And I shift when it feels good, no set point. The SV's sweet spot is about 7k rpms for max torque and HP but I'll shift 9k to 10k clutchlessly when I've got a stick up my ass and am willing to die if someone pulls out in front of me at that speed. Who wants to live forever.

:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Seeing as how I only ride my SV at the track, usually pretty damn close to redline as often as possible. If you are worried about revving it up don't be. I beat the shit out of mine and it's fine.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
on highway, always in sixth unless stop and go.
city, the highest i can keep it in.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
If I'm runnin the back roads its usually 3500 - 4000, if im on the highway its about 5500-6000
also try to shift around 6-7000;depends on what mood im in ;)

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Depends. If I'm late for work, upper 6k range, if not late low to mid 5's
Coming home, or recreational riding mid 4 to mid 5 range.
Sitting at a light or in stopped traffic next to someone in a land yacht while they're gabbing on the cell phone instead of paying attention, just under redline

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i usally try to keep it at 4500 it feels good to the bike any higher and it feels like the bike is winding to high

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I am on the highway it ranges from 6000-8000 depending on the speed of traffic. If I am free to choose I try to keep it between 4000-5500 depending on conditions.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I may be the one off here, but if I'm just cruising in town, i like to keep it right under or right at 4 grand or lower...especially with gas prices the way they are. Plus i'm just afraid that cruising around at 5g's all the time will be bad for it, though I'm sure it wont be...i'm just a wus like that sometimes. When i'm riding it hard though (finally got over 1k miles) i dont even pay attention to the tach (9grand maybe?)

·
Registered
326 Posts
3500-4k unless I am on it or on the freeway. I turn 5500 to 6k on the freeway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
2500-4000. Economy mode. I'm not sure if it's harmful to the bike however, the manual recommends shifiting around those rpms (first gear shift to second around 12 mph)

·
Registered
15 Posts
mschop said:
2500-4000.  Economy mode.  I'm not sure if it's harmful to the bike however, the manual recommends shifiting around those rpms (first gear shift to second around 12 mph)
That's my style too. I like to keep it around 3500, I feel like anything over 4k is starting to get a little rude to the neighbors.

Having said that, however, I rode home yesterday cruising at around 4500 and it was really nice not having to shift down for steep hills...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Shifting at 4000 usually try to stay under 5000 with the gas prices. Neglecting gas prices, shift at 4500-6000 except when gooseing it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts