Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend bought a bike (2008 ninja with < 300 miles) at the beginning of the month, a week after she finished the MSF. She has about 200 miles on the bike as of today.

We were riding around campus earlier today.. We both stopped at a stop sign, looked, and I pulled out first (she likes me to pull out first so she won't have to concentrate on looking over her shoulder so much). As I was pulling off, I heard her bike stall. I slowed down, heard her starter clicking, engine rev, then a crash.

Apparently the dude driving a 1966 convertible thought she pulled out with me (Probably heard my micron pipe and couldn't even hear her stock muffler idling in front of him). He nailed her from behind (avoid the sexual annotations) and sent her falling pretty hard to the cement.

She had her helmet and jacket on so she didn't have any broken skin but she is bruised up and very sore. Luckily, a cop witnessed the accident and actually beat me to incident (I had to u-turn).

She has had the bike for two weeks. WTF?

Damage to bike: blinker, front fairing, shifter, bar end, clutch lever, kick stand..

·
Registered
54 Posts
A friend of mine got rear ended on his Ninja 250 about a week after buying it...maybe it is a 250 thing? At least she is alright.

EDIT: I am assuming it is a 250....guess you didn't actually specify.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Wow, glad she's ok and there was a cop at the right place and time. 1966 convertible, that's gonna hurt him as much as she is hurt if not more.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Probably heard my micron pipe and couldn't even hear her stock muffler idling in front of him
I thought loud pipes SAVED lives?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A friend of mine got rear ended on his Ninja 250 about a week after buying it...maybe it is a 250 thing? At least she is alright.

EDIT: I am assuming it is a 250....guess you didn't actually specify.
She wouldn't have a 250 (although the 2009's look awesome). It is a 500

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She rode the bike home. She wouldn't have but she had an important class she needed to make.. She also didn't want her bike towed which was the only other option..

Now, the injuries are catching up with her.. She is hobbling around the apartment and screamed in pain at the pomeranian earlier for pawing at her leg because it wanted to play :(

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I hope she heals up just fine and it doesn't put her off motorcycling.

I've actually seen something similar happen a few years ago. 2 motorcyclists were at a stop sign and one went before the other. The driver in the car behind them wasn't paying attention and then went forward, directly into the other motorcyclist, nearly launching him off the bike--which instead fell over on top of him when he was unbalanced. Luckily he had a helmet on, but had shorts and a tshirt and had some nice injuries and a burn on his leg from the exhaust.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Technically, she DIDN'T have a loud pipe...
I was referring to the OP's Micron. Perhaps I was making a jest, a quip, a jape, if you will.
(Probably heard my micron pipe and couldn't even hear her stock muffler idling in front of him)

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
glad to hear she's ok. sounds like the bike got scuffed up pretty good and some parts will have to be replaced. seems like drivers are paying less and less attention to anything else out there.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Subframe still ok?

Hope the guy was cited and insurance paying for the damage. He shouldn't have to hear if the vehicle in front of him has pulled out. He should look.

PS: I have been rearended on a bike before. It's very unpleasant. My back and neck were sore for quite a while. Hope she got checked out.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It absolutely flabbergasts me how people will start a car moving without KNOWING there's nothing in front of them.
LOL. The guy said, I noticed before we got to the stop light that she must be an inexperienced rider due to the temporary license tag. ???

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Subframe is fine. She spent too much money initially on the bike. I told her that she needed sliders ASAP but she didn't have enough cash to buy gear AND sliders.

So I told her that the only thing more important than sliders was her gear. It was a good call.

Now that she has seen the damage from a 5 mph fall, she says she will never ride her repaired bike without sliders. :)

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
hope she heals up quick. As for sexual annotations, I don't think it would be physically possible to fit any more into one paragraph.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I hate hearing stuff like this. Make sure she gets checked out. I'm wishing her a speedy and total recovery.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts