Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get caught in the Rain today in the GTA?
I was riding down the 400 from work and noticed that when I got off the highway and stopped at the lights the idling dropped from 1300-1500 RPM (typical idle) to about 1000 RPM. It almost felt like it was going to stall when I started to give it some gas. I kept the bike in neutral and kept the RPM's above 2000 while I was stopped at the lights to counter act the rough idling at stop.

Runs fine after a half-hour parked in the garage.

Anyone know what would cause this???? I was thinking maybe water in the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
marcsv650s said:
Anyone else get caught in the Rain today in the GTA?
I was riding down the 400 from work and noticed that when I got off the highway and stopped at the lights the idling dropped from 1300-1500 RPM (typical idle) to about 1000 RPM. It almost felt like it was going to stall when I started to give it some gas. I kept the bike in neutral and kept the RPM's above 2000 while I was stopped at the lights to counter act the rough idling at stop.

Runs fine after a half-hour parked in the garage.

Anyone know what would cause this???? I was thinking maybe water in the exhaust.

what is happening, is your spark plug boot on the front cylinder isn't sealed properly, if it's been that way a while, then the boot has prolly become mal formed, there is also a drain hole that exits about half way down the cylinter block on the right hand side, it's about a 1/8" dia hole, run a pipe cleaner thru it, and blow it out with compressed air, insects have a habit of crawling in there and getting cooked

while some say get a fenfer extender to keep the water away from the spark plug and others say put some grease around it for sealant...

I think the correct way is to get a new spark plug boot. make sure it's in there straight and sealed keep the drain hole clean

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds about right...I just replaced the spark plugs and haven't ridden in the rain since.

Thanks I'll check it out.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Holeshot Fenda Extenda

It keeps most of the spray off the front of the engine, and seems to completely protect the front plug. I recommend it highly.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
The newer SV's have a rubber flap hanging from the bottom of the radiator to block the water coming off the front tire from getting in the boot. But yeah you need to blow out your drain hole too.

:)

·
Registered
313 Posts
a word from recent experience, if you decide to ride the sv325 until it goes back to normal, ride slow and take turns like a grannie :oops:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
All4Grog said:
a word from recent experience, if you decide to ride the sv325 until it goes back to normal, ride slow and take turns like a grannie :oops:
when I had it happen, I had to go thru a village with lots o manhole covers and painted crosswalks (not stripped, solid red paint a full 5-6' width across the street) seemesd like everytime I gave it throttle to compensate, the front cylinder would kick in, then I'd reduce throttle, the front would die again, on the open rural road it was fine, only had trouble in the village with hazards & traffic. SCARY ride,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts