Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the SV family. Picked one up as my first bike in October and have put a ton of miles on it already. I'm planning a trip from the Bay Area to LA around Thanksgiving and would love some advice from anyone who has made the trip.

I decided that I wanted to take Highway 1 all the way down because it's a much nicer route, I am a bit worried about all of the winding roads. Does anyone have experience making the trip and can you share your experience on the road. How long did it take? How many stops did you make?

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
I would love to do that ride someday.

I did ride Boston to Washington DC and back over a weekend once. Similar distance. I took I-95 most of the way, though. I would plan for an all-day trip each way, more if you plan to sightsee for any length of time along the way.

Wear seamless underwear, like bicycle shorts. I scoffed at other riders who gave the same advice. Believe me, 1000 miles sitting on a seam is uncomfortable for days after.

Of course I did a service before I left and a quick spritz of chain lube before I headed home. I packed a tire plug kit and a compressor as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did it in 2011, but on a van with family and a friend with his family, as part of a 15-day trip through the west coast and several national parks.
Looking at the map I may have traveled HW 1 all the way down: I do remember travelling the 17 Miles Drive and stopping in Monterey and Carmel.
That was probably one of the most scenic trips I have ever driven.

Wear seamless underwear, like bicycle shorts. I scoffed at other riders who gave the same advice. Believe me, 1000 miles sitting on a seam is uncomfortable for days after.
Good advice.
Two months ago I did a 1500 Km trip in 3 days: seat was fantastic but the seam of the motorcycle jeans I wore felt quite annoying.

·
MOTORADOR
10,845 Posts
I've done it a few times. It's a long haul but, as Mad8 said, it can be done in one day AS LONG AS THERE IS NO TRAFFIC, which will be your biggest problem during the holidays. Expect stop-and-go traffic around the Monterey Bay area as well as around Big Sur, Morro/Pismo and then Santa Barbara and Malibu in the south so you'll run out of daylight about half way down (hotels are expensive in the Central Coast towns!). Traffic can be a huge fun-killer in such a beautiful road so I would suggest you wait for a non-holiday, mid-week day to make the trip.

You mentioned being worried about the winding roads. CA 1 is curvy but generally not too technical, although there are a couple of sections with tighter curves and even a few decreasing radius corners, which can play a big safety factor in your plans. What is your experience and level of comfort in the curves? I travel to the Bay Area at least once a month to teach intermediate and advanced clinics with lots of emphasis in cornering technique. Maybe it would be better for you to come to one of our classes and get some practice time before venturing into the wild.
Hit me up if you want more info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done it a few times. It's a long haul but, as Mad8 said, it can be done in one day AS LONG AS THERE IS NO TRAFFIC, which will be your biggest problem during the holidays. Expect stop-and-go traffic around the Monterey Bay area as well as around Big Sur, Morro/Pismo and then Santa Barbara and Malibu in the south so you'll run out of daylight about half way down (hotels are expensive in the Central Coast towns!). Traffic can be a huge fun-killer in such a beautiful road so I would suggest you wait for a non-holiday, mid-week day to make the trip.

You mentioned being worried about the winding roads. CA 1 is curvy but generally not too technical, although there are a couple of sections with tighter curves and even a few decreasing radius corners, which can play a big safety factor in your plans. What is your experience and level of comfort in the curves? I travel to the Bay Area at least once a month to teach intermediate and advanced clinics with lots of emphasis in cornering technique. Maybe it would be better for you to come to one of our classes and get some practice time before venturing into the wild.
Hit me up if you want more info.

I would say that my skill level is beginner/intermediate. I’ve put about 500-700 miles on my bike since getting it, and cornering tends to be the most psychologically challenging. I’ve been practicing a lot of low-speed cornering techniques, but what I am most worried about is coming in sharp curves while going the flow of car traffic. I also tend to overthink downhill curves a bit. I have about a month before my trip, so I’ve been practicing all of the things that I just mentioned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did it twice, both times on my cruiser (Yamaha XV1100), with my lady. This year, for a more complete experience I first crossed the Bay Bridge and headed over to Golden Gate Bridge and "started" there. I left home 10am, spent 3 hours in Carmel for extended lunch and some beach time, and got to Ventura by 7:30pm. There was a bunch of traffic, and one-way traffic due to construction, but that's what lane splitting is for ;) Had a great time riding that route, both times. I might take the SV there one day, but I don't have much reason to ride that road solo, and I don't have saddle bags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts