Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also, what has been your experiance?  Likes, dislikes about the Sv650??

Ride safe!

Tom

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
New rider. I ahve about 2900 miles on mine. Was the perfect choice for me. As far as dislikes......... stock mirrors sucks..........

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
SV650:

Pros: FUN!! Light, easy to ride. Solid bike for many riding purposes. Linear power delivery. Reasonably cheap to purchase, operate, maintain, and insure. Great aftermarket support. Highly modifiable. Stone cold reliability.

Cons: 10-15 more hp please? Budget suspension parts (easily upgradeable).

HTH

·
Registered
46 Posts
im not a "guy" but i love my sv. new to riding and so far it has been exactly what i expected. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
About one 1k in experience (only riding since July 1st).

As for the bike - its wonderful. Headlights seem to be rather dim... Budget suspension parts can't really complain about yet (at the same thing, NOTHING close to anything of your R1) .. For all that Florida has to offer me, I can not see upgrading any time soon.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'm 27 now...

Age 4~16 - Rode dirt bikes and raced 'em too (hare scrambles, enduro's)
Age 16~now Streets bikes and dirt bikes still.  I have over 100,000 miles on my street bikes.  Not much by any means, but more than your average 27 year old punk.

What do I like... It's manageable (much more than my old CBR900RR, plus the fact I was still new to street riding, 18, and I had NO self control) Handles great, has plenty of stuff out there to customize it.

Cons... Not super two up. Too hard to trade in/sell. Can't afford two bikes right now.

·
Registered
456 Posts
When in high school I rode for a year. Now (12 years later) just getting back into riding and have been for 4 months.

Love the SV, just wish suspension was set up a little better.

·
Registered
324 Posts
5-6 K on my old xs400 before I bought my SV earlier this Summer. 3K on the SV650YN right now.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I've been riding 40 years, my SV is not my only bike, but it has been my primary ride for the past 6 years, I have almost 117,000 miles on it

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just started riding this year with a new SV650 (naked). Always loved naked standards. Since May I have nearly 4K miles on it. I think it is just a great utilitarian bike as far as torque, riding position and light weight. I'm at the point where I can feel that the stock suspension sucks, so am now shopping around for upgrades and will hopefully turn this into a track bike by mid next year.

A lot of my friends have told me to get rid of it and upgrade, but even if I do get a bigger bike, I just can't see myself getting rid of it. :)

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
From the age of 16 through my mid-to-late-30s, I owned a wide variety of bikes -- often more than one at a time -- and had tens of thousands of miles of street experience.

I took a rather long break after selling a bike when we needed money while building our house. I got back into riding with my SV.

It is the most overall fun bike I've owned. It does everything reasonably well and is just a blast to ride.

There are a few weaknesses, notably the front suspension. That was cured relatively cheaply with weight-appropriate Racetech springs, emulators and heavier fork oil. I find the headlight weak, but that could also be these old eyes.

I wouldn't mind adding other bikes to the garage, especially a long-distance sport tourer (think BMW), but there will always be space for an SV. I commute (75 miles round trip) every day weather permits. I ride it hard on weekends and its visited the track. In fact, I'd like to get another SV as a track bike.

Ride carefully and ride smart, and you will ride for a long time.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have 10yrs of riding, 7yrs when I bought my first SV, 9yrs when I stoped riding them.

I really enjoyed my time on the SV's and thought they were a great bike though the motors seem to have issues with being riden hard and the 700 I built was what I would deem the right amount of power for the bike.

In nutshell, not a perfect bike but, diffently a fun bike.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Been street legal for 7 years(23yrsold). But got my first motorized bike at age 5. Been on most every street bike sold in this country, and love my sv for the way you can litterally throw them through corners. They're just do light and bounce back so well.

67GTONUT said:
......... stock mirrors sucks..........
+1

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Lil Blue02 said:
I have 10yrs of riding, 7yrs when I bought my first SV, 9yrs when I stoped riding them.

I really enjoyed my time on the SV's and thought they were a great bike though the motors seem to have issues with being riden hard and the 700 I built was what I would deem the right amount of power for the bike.

In nutshell, not a perfect bike but, diffently a fun bike.
I actually seen that overseas there was an SV400 I think sold. I was told that the same 400 engine was used for the 650 and they ended up stressing some things near max to get the SV650 to perform like they wanted. This is why I here that the big bore kits were not a good deal on these engines because they were already pushed near their limits as a 650. So as I understand it... its basically a big bore 400cc bike. This is just what I got from reading and talking to some others though and reading info on the net so my info may not be correct but seems so.

I actually think that for what the SV costs... there is nothing I will complain about. Sure suspension is lacking... but... for most riders its probably fine and better suspension would mean more $$$. I would say more power but that is silly. It has plenty really. I could have a GSX1000 for a few weeks and by end of the month would be looking for more power on it too probably. Its that comfort thing... once you get comfortable with something... you start thinking of ways to make it more fun or more comfy etc.  ;)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'm 40 years old. Been riding on the street since I was 16 (took a 10 year hiatus due to a major accident before rejoining the ranks 3 years ago).

Likes...
Price
Performance
Torque
Handleing
Insurance Rate

Dislikes...
Crappy suspension (easily fixed)
Stock seat (also easily fixed)
Stock HP (give me just 15 more...)
Gas Mileage
Tank Size

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
from the early 1981 through 1986 I rode dirt bikes. Got my street license in 1984. Rode on and off until 1991. But to be honest I was a total squid back then. Took 13 years off until I bought the SV. Best move I could have made. Second best was lurking and then joining here. Got me into the "sport rider" frame of mind instead of falling back into the Squid mindset. So all together about ten years, but only the last two really count. Before that I could go really fast in a straight line, but didn't have a clue about anything else...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had my license for 10+ years but only have owned a my own bike (SV650s) for the past two years. Before that I would go somewhere rent or borrow a friends bike and go on trips a couple times a year. So really I only have 2 years real bike ownership, everyday driving experince.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts