Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for any advice on what to do to make my wife more comfortable riding on the back of my bike. On braking, she tries really hard not to fall into me....I just want her to feel safe so she can have some fun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try slowing sooner than normal, give yourself plently of time to stop, if you can. It sucks when the rider stops quickly and the passenger gets pushed into them. Riding 2 up on the SV, in my opinion, is harder anyway because the passenger is up a lot higher than the rider.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Be smooth. Since she's not in control - movements you consider fine are a total surprise for her.

Shifting and braking need to be extra smooth to help her stay in position and feel comfortable. If she's bumping into the back of your helmet, you'll need to smooth out.

More relaxed and controlled is all.

·
Registered
597 Posts
On braking she can put her palms on the tank to brace herself. In that position she can also hold on to you with the inside of her arms. This works well.

Now, on hard cornering, tell her to gently grab your privates. That will make it fun for the both of you. ;D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually shifting does seem to be a problem.  Even just rolling off the throttle causes an uncomfortable jerk.  For some reason, shifting just seems a whole lot jerkier on the new SV.  I'm trying really hard to smooth things out.

·
Registered
597 Posts
slappermouth said:
Actually shifting does seem to be a problem.  Even just rolling off the throttle causes an uncomfortable jerk.  For some reason, shifting just seems a whole lot jerkier on the new SV.  I'm trying really hard to smooth things out.
Get used to getting plenty of helmate taps and jerks riding 2 up untill she starts to understand when your gunna shift.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Slapper, I'm afraid this might not be the answer you're looking for, but here's the skinny--the major shortcoming of all sport(y) bikes, the SV included, for the passenger is the >lack of a backrest<. How many of us have ridden on the back, perched up there with nothing to keep you from going off the back but a death grip of the driver, or an unnatural grip on the grab rail?

The problem, as you can no doubt guess, is this is no such thing as a "sissy" bar for an SV (at least that I've been able to find).  So the only truly satisfactory answer, at least from the passenger's (your wife's) perspective is a rack and top case, which functions as a nice secure backrest. I think Givi has one, expensive, so-so looking, destroys clean lines of your SV, and would absolutely thrill your wife.

Others may claim riding on the back is OK, but I can count the number of times my wife has ridden on the back of my SV on one hand, versus my 2 previous bikes which each had comfy backrests.

Edit: I seem to have forgotten, I have seen as SV that had a rack like this, that I think had a backrest mounted on it--can't think of the name but can investigate if you're interested. An expensive solution, but IMO, the only truly satifactory one for your S.O.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/546/106/

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Scare the crap out of her once or twice and she'll stop with that silly notion of "togetherness". Passenger seats should be the same a hazard signals : Only in emergencies.  ;D

·
Registered
170 Posts
smoothness and braking slow like others have said. Also, have her keep her head to one side or the other to avoid bumping helmets,(for me.. the passenger's head to the inside works best). Also, if you do need to stop quickly, she can brace herself with her hands on the gas tank. My GF and I never bump helmets anymore and she feels safe under everyday braking conditions.

hth

John

·
Registered
142 Posts
Something that has helped when I take my wife for rides is the Motrax Love Handles (similar to the Buddy Belt). It is a nylon belt you wear around your waist that has two handle for your passenger to grip. This eliminates the need for them to wrap their arms around you and place their helmet too close to yours. It doesn't do much for them sliding up into you during braking, but it has stopped all complaints about fears of sliding off the back of the seat. Just put "Motrax Love Handles" or "Buddy Belt" into Google to find places to buy these. I was able to buy my Love Handles from Cycle Gear, but it is no longer available on their web site (possibly still available in the stores though). Hope this suggestion helps....it definitley helped us.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I tell anyone who rides on the bike to do the following...keep your hands around me and crossed, then place them on the gas tank. When I'm accelerating, you can grab onto me. When i'm stopping, you need to support your own weight by pushing against the gas tank...I've ridden ppl who just won't listen, and when i brake, its like 200lbs of force being exerted onto my arms, makes it hard to turn as well...so just make sure your passenger knows that if they don't wanna die, they better put their hands on your tank while braking. Also just slow everything down, accel, braking, turning, etc etc...easier on everyone.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Not having a backrest is not that big a deal if you can be smooth. It is a nice asset - but not the cure-all. It doesn't help with braking - which is certainly the one thing that can happen without any warning to either of you.

My wife sits straight up and barely hangs on most of the time. Only on hard acceleration.

·
Registered
213 Posts
FYI- if your wife or girlfriend wears rings on her fingers, have her put gloves on or take them off. On previous bikes I've had scratches on my tank from passenger hands.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
shekshishekki said:
I tell anyone who rides on the bike to do the following...keep your hands around me and crossed, then place them on the gas tank. When I'm accelerating, you can grab onto me. When i'm stopping, you need to support your own weight by pushing against the gas tank...I've ridden ppl who just won't listen, and when i brake, its like 200lbs of force being exerted onto my arms, makes it hard to turn as well...so just make sure your passenger knows that if they don't wanna die, they better put their hands on your tank while braking. Also just slow everything down, accel, braking, turning, etc etc...easier on everyone.
Not sure what kind of women you've been giving rides to...but my pillion only weighs 120lb. LOL 200lbs of woman on the back of an sv is too much woman.

G

·
If she squeezes her legs together when she breaks she'll not be sliding into your back...

Also the palms on the tank and gripping with the forearms is huge! One of my friends is great, I can't even feel her on the back. (also tell her not to lean on you, and to try to keep space between you too... it's scary at first, but much better for the driver)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts