Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't care for both these Youtubers. Max Wrist has caused one accident that I know of, however I don't get the hate by this YouTuber and the many comments regarding how its Max Wrist Fault? So a rider try's to keep up with Max Wrist and crashes and its Max's fault? A rider try's to impress Max and crashes and it's Max's fault?

My thoughts are we as riders should take responsibility for our OWN actions and stop blaming others for poor judgement on our part. You will meet folks like MW on many rides, RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE NOT ANYONE ELSES, and except responsibility if you screw up.

What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
2017 SV650A
87 Posts
Almost all YouTubers give me that Used-car Salesman feel and this dude is no exception. I don't hold it against them because there's no guarantee the views or money will last, and have to do what they know works to keep the YouTube algorithm happy and them views up from the 13 year olds they cater too. They assume the persona to fill that niche. Never heard of Max Wrist, but he sounds like a guy I wouldn't want to cruise with as a consciously defensive driver, but that's assuming all that DDFM said about him is true. Never saw anything from MW in this video that indicated he caused the accident, appeared to be all rider error.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
74 Posts
He does come across as the authority of motorcycle safe riding, but I do like his crash or near miss breakdowns. But yeah he can come across as a pompous douche. MaxWrist is there for the views, that’s his “business” as a YouTube entertainer. Max turning around to check if his GoPro was recording shouldn’t be a surprise, as dick as it may seem. He organizes those rides and has his GoPro for the footage, and crashes gets the most views. The raw video shows that kawi guy was new to the group. Max doesn’t know him even if he gave him a cute nickname (sparky), but admired his bike, so he couldn’t care less.

Unless someone crashes into you, or something unprecedented happens and there’s nothing you can do about it, if you crash, it’s 100% your fault. Dan believes that Max Wrist gets behind slower riders, and pushes them hard in hopes they crash so he gets the footage. And that might be true, but the rider in front has the option to ride slow enough to have Max pass him for a more interesting victim.

There’s a Max in every ride, and there’s also a potential max victim in every ride. Check your ego, know your limits, and don’t let anyone push them. If you feel you’re holding someone back, let them go in front of you. If he/she is going marginally faster, you have the option to up your pace a little and keep up. If that rider is at another level, then don’t even try. Ride your own ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,123 Posts
Gotta know your limits, take it down a notch from there, or just let 'um go...

I remember hearing about moto journalists going for a street ride with (I believe) Eddie Lawson (4 time World Champion) back in the day. They of course were running a bit hard - and Eddie just let them go.

He obviously could have dusted them all, without breaking a sweat, but being the smart racer he was, he knew there were just too many variables on the street that couldn't be controlled to safely run at speed.

Once you spend some time on the track you realize just how uncontrolled riding on the street is, and you tend to slow down.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The guy in the ZRX that went down is active on another forum/message board, gave his thoughts on why he think the crash occurred. Having a ZRX I can say it's not the best bike to ride aggressively in corners with supermoto bikes. That being said his wife gave him an ultimatum, bike or her, don't know where he landed, not interested in that discussion. There's a reason I don't generally ride with others except my kids and if I do it's at the back. Don't trust anyone, assume everyone on the road is out to cause a crash. I can assure I would never ride with Max behind me, I'll be at the back and laugh if he goes down, at least after making sure he's not seriously injured.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I watch most all of Max's videos (Badkittytime too). I've never seen him "organize" a ride as such, it's mainly, "I'm going, come along if you want". He's became somewhat of a celebrity and people are trying to go with him (some trying a bit too hard). I wouldn't mind giving a bit of chase myself, though I doubt I'd be able to hang long on the SVS. :LOL:
With fame many times comes a certain amount of infamy. Lotta "sour grapes" in these kinds of deals. Someone getting noticed, getting positive feedback, and there's bound to be a few who will get jealous and start trying to point fingers to bring them down.
As for the "safety" thing. All the guys he's riding with are grown men, perfectly able to make their own decisions. I've never seen Max pressure anyone to ride over their limits. It would be different if he was baiting people and putting them down if they couldn't keep up. Quite the opposite actually. The people crashing are doing it of their own free will and poor judgement. Max is just making videos and putting them on YouTube. No real difference from me and the Friday Ride Videos other than he's faster and way more popular. But, you're always going to have the safety Nazis who proclaim that anyone who does anything that they don't/can't is being "unsafe". I like Max's content, and will continue to watch it as long as he makes it..:)

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki SV650X 2000 Kawasaki ZX12R
114 Posts
I have watched multiple videos from Dan. I have found some good information in them though he can come off as a douche. He has a background in safety and motorcycles as a fireman, emt, and an MSF coach but he's also a salesman with his monthly training course. He needs videos of people being dumb, both on bikes and in other vehicles to keep his brand going. The educational stuff has been the draw to me though I wouldn't pay for anything he produces.

Max puts out the type of videos I don't watch. I feel like his actions of splitting traffic to wheelie past a car and speeding in areas of high traffic is just dumb and looking to cause injury to others. I am to a point a hypocrite as I have gotten my SV to its absolute top speed with my fat ass on it, but I do it when the is no traffic around me so if I go down, I'm the only one thats gonna be hurt. I'm also in the midst of a drag bike build which will be used on a closed course. Max is not at fault for what others do, not at all, but people watch what he and others do and want to emulate because they think it's cool. I also think those videos add to some stigma and negativity that motorcycle rides are all assholes who are reckless. As a whole, his videos don't do anyone a service. I've also heard things about him a person that has turned me off to him as well but I'll keep that stuff to myself.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I caught a couple of Max’s videos, and thought they weren’t bad. Same with Dan’s, though I stay away from them, mainly. But yeah, it’s a business. Like Hollywood, oftentimes they’ll collaborate on starting a ‘feud’, because the drama inevitably increases Da Viewz for BOTH parties, which means mo’ mon-ay! 😄

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I caught a couple of Max’s videos, and thought they weren’t bad. Same with Dan’s, though I stay away from them, mainly. But yeah, it’s a business. Like Hollywood, oftentimes they’ll collaborate on starting a ‘feud’, because the drama inevitably increases Da Viewz for BOTH parties, which means mo’ mon-ay! 😄
I don't know, seems like fireman has a genuine hard-on for Max.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wow, I wasn't going to jump in, but I'm a cocktail (or two) in so why not (I uber to supplement my semi-retiredness, so Tuesdays are my weekendness. Actually, any day I want is my weekendness. That's whats cool about being a 'gig' worker... independent contractor, yo! Oh wait, thats another 'thing'.... never mind. Anyway, y'all are right- ride your own damn ride. RIDE YOUR OWN DAMN RIDE! And if wristy fuckaroo wants to make a buck off of dumb asses doing dumbass things, that's fine... seriously, Borat, Jackass, Idiot's Guid to Electricity... gotta thin the herd! Preferably before they procreate (pro create, haha, fugging amatures)

And while yes, Dan Dan the whatever is obviously selling product, he makes no claim to be doing otherwise. His vids, and yes products, are very useful and might just save someone's ass. Entertaining for sure, and there's another channel focused on training and skills. Does he come off as a douche at times... sure. But hell, I'm a friggin douche. Most of us are at times.

Ok I'm done.

Join me in Madison!

Reactions: 1neeto

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have set my YT to hide Max Wrist videos.
I find his bike riding videos to be exactly how NOT to ride on public roads, and showing them on the Internet pretty much diseducative.

Having said this, although I find Dan videos quite instructive in terms of safety, I really can't stand the tones used: I'd much rather prefer a detached, analytical and less "teacher-on-desk" approach.

Concerning safety teaching, I honestly prefer MotoJitsu or Canyon Chasers videos for the way concepts are passed to viewers.

Reactions: 1neeto

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,088 Posts
I agree w/ Darren, I wasn't gonna jump in but all the kids are... I may as well. Videos like that are why I don't spend time on youtube anymore; there are a lot of folks who want to prop their opinions up as gospel and there are lots of other folks clamoring for someone to follow, whether that be actually following on their bike or following with their views. Ride your own ride, certainly, but develop your own views on things. That's what makes us individuals. I like motorcycles and riding fast, but I don't get behind the message of any of these d-bag channels.
Jay brings up a good point re Eddie Lawson. Now, I'm no Eddie but I am also aware when I have someone following me who is not on the same level of riding as I am. When you go riding with your buddy, there is a sense of wanting to keep up, just because you're out there to have fun and ride together. If the faster rider is leading, there should be a healthy level of care taken so as not to "drag" the slower rider outside of their limits. I try to make it clear that if I'm riding too fast, just hang back. I check my mirrors, and if I see you losing ground I will slow my pace until we can ride together. Chasing doesn't really make you faster, it just makes you anxious and wind up making mistakes. After all, we ride slower to go faster, right?

·
Registered
197 Posts
People watch this sort of stuff for entertainment? Captain Safety there needs to get a life instead of making a 15 minute video that can be summed as, "Don't ride too fast on the street".
If you want ’Captain Safety’, you should subscribe to MCRider, like I do. 😄

The underlying problem here is what happens when it gets too prevalent. You say you want a bike as a hobby. So what happens when the wrong people see all of these crashes, risky driving and ‘road takeovers’ and suddenly decide motorcycles need to go the way of the three-wheeled ATV? You know the majority of people will agree with them and vote that way, and we have nowhere near the numbers to stop them… So there you have it, all motorcycles banned, and ‘Good riddance to them,’ right?

I watch the Moto Madness compilations for examples of how not to ride, and to condition myself to situations that would put me at risk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't care for both these Youtubers. Max Wrist has caused one accident that I know of, however I don't get the hate by this YouTuber and the many comments regarding how its Max Wrist Fault? So a rider try's to keep up with Max Wrist and crashes and its Max's fault? A rider try's to impress Max and crashes and it's Max's fault?

My thoughts are we as riders should take responsibility for our OWN actions and stop blaming others for poor judgement on our part. You will meet folks like MW on many rides, RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE NOT ANYONE ELSES, and except responsibility if you screw up.

What's your thoughts?

My thoughts are that max wrist is a menace to society every time he rides.
DDFM is just making money off watching people fall. Lol

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
74 Posts
If you want ’Captain Safety’, you should subscribe to MCRider, like I do.

The underlying problem here is what happens when it gets too prevalent. You say you want a bike as a hobby. So what happens when the wrong people see all of these crashes, risky driving and ‘road takeovers’ and suddenly decide motorcycles need to go the way of the three-wheeled ATV? You know the majority of people will agree with them and vote that way, and we have nowhere near the numbers to stop them… So there you have it, all motorcycles banned, and ‘Good riddance to them,’ right?

I watch the Moto Madness compilations for examples of how not to ride, and to condition myself to situations that would put me at risk.
You underestimate the motorcycle community. This all out motorcycle ban will never happen. There’s a whole lot of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
very big dumb
9,212 Posts
specifically on maxwrist... one of the two dudes that ran that channel is a rapist... and apparently a child somethinger... his partner that now runs the channel... is just a hazard to the world.

On March 16, at a general court-martial convened at Vicenza, Italy, Sgt. 1st Class Eugene McMahel was convicted by a military judge, pursuant to his pleas, of two specifications of attempted sodomy for the purpose of receiving a thing of value, one specification of disobeying a commissioned officer, one specification of recklessly operating a vehicle, three specifications of sodomy for the purpose of receiving a thing of value, two specifications of assault consummated by battery, two specifications of assault consummated by battery upon a child, one specification of aggravated assault upon a child, three specifications of adultery, and one specification of obstructing justice.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts