Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Riders in Charlotte...

Hello everyone,

I am a SV rider in the Charlotte area, that frequents the NC moutains with places like us 421 and 129, not to mention the fun quick run to Cesear's Head. I tend to ride with a group of cruisers because, well, they are the only ones out there that feel like putting that kinda mileage. I am looking for sv riders out here in the Queen City. Its pretty bad when in the year you have your bike and you put every one of the 13,000 original miles on it. Just thought i would see how many other people embraze the power of the twin!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hey man, I'm down in Sumter, SC...doesn't seem to be many other SVers down here. Mayber over in Columbia. I'm about 2 hrs away, but since all the good riding is that direction, maybe I can catch you guys sometime to show me around. Excited to get up to the hills!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Whats up smokey?

I just got my sv last summer and my dad has an old TL 1000. We try to get up on the mountain around Caesar's several times a month. Ride on down sometime to "the store" (Exxon) where hwy 11 and 178 meet. I ride a naked blue '05. i won't be able to get back up there till the second weekend of may. College student with finals coming up and loads of projects-- sucks but....

My dad will prolly be up there this coming weekend though if the weather is good. Not sure how you ride but he can shred fairly hard but enjoys just riding too. He rides a red and black TL; i think a 95. He wears a one piece leather suit- kinda grey - with a mostly silver helmet. I love following him and have learned a lot doing just that.

My name is Chip and my dad's name is Chuck. If you see him hit him up. He knows some really good roads off the beaten path. Not to mention, for being an old guy ( 48 ) :p he is pretty cool. Maybe ill see you up there when school finishes up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My name's Scott. I live up in Harrisburg and I know all about 421. Used to live in Wilkesboro...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chip, i tend to try and ride ceasar's head as much as I can its a little closer than the dragon. I am feeling another run to the dragon coming up in may. I am all for grab some throttle as long as there are plenty of curves, not much for just hitting triple digits on the interstate, too much shimmy at 150. (lol) I have a dark red 07 naked. I've run a couple track days with it. And my street gear is just textile stuff. But now that its warming up ill push a little harder. If yall want to go fast, gotta do it at the track.

Scott, i live near LMS and ussually hit bike night at Quacker state. I am looking for a ride sunday maybe do another run to Ceasar's head, or 421. Its strange to see so few people riding the SV in this area.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hey man, what's the nearest best riding for you? I'm assuming that would also be the closest for me. Caesar's Head looks awesome. Is the really fun part pretty short though? Fairly convinced that anything worth riding is going to be a weekend trip from Sumter. I'm with you, if it's not twisty, it's not worth it. Have you been to Carolina Motorsports Park for a trackday?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Caesar's head is good. Next time ride on down till you come to Hwy 8. Take that to 11. When you get to 11 go right. Ride till you come to 178; there will be an Exxon on the left-- commonly referred to as "the store". Then take a right to head back up the mountain. It is an awesome road; only problem is the lights have been watching it a good bit the past month. Then ride up 178 till you get to 64. Go right on 64 to get back to 276, then back down if you want. i can't speak for the stretch of 64 but 178 is hard to beat around the area. When i ride with my dad, he takes a short cut back to Caesar's head. I don't remember the road name now though.

You can go left on 64 instead of right and get on 215 to reach the Blue Ridge Parkway. The roads aren't great quality (there is one straight that the lane is deteriorating quickly) but there are some good sweepers mixed with some tight stuff instead of the just tight stuff like on 178. Just take it slow going up.

I'm gonna try to get up there saturday. I'm not sure though what pop's schedule will be like.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Chip, i tend to try and ride ceasar's head as much as I can its a little closer than the dragon. I am feeling another run to the dragon coming up in may. I am all for grab some throttle as long as there are plenty of curves, not much for just hitting triple digits on the interstate, too much shimmy at 150. (lol)
Yeah im not to big on just going fast on flat land. If it is curves you seek I can tell you that you will find them on 178. I want to go to the dragon. I have not had the chance yet. I was not ready last year to even attempt that road. I could do it now but it would definitely be at my pace. My dad doesn't know those roads and the only time i push it is when i follow him. He only goes hard when he knows the road. so... but sometime in may would be great for a trip up there. Ill be done with school for the summer and looking to get into something.

Where do ya'll ride on 421? Never been there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey man, what's the nearest best riding for you? I'm assuming that would also be the closest for me. Caesar's Head looks awesome. Is the really fun part pretty short though? Fairly convinced that anything worth riding is going to be a weekend trip from Sumter. I'm with you, if it's not twisty, it's not worth it. Have you been to Carolina Motorsports Park for a trackday?

I have been twice to CMP and will go again for the two track days later this year, only on my R6 track bike. The SV has seen the asphault enough. Yea the closest good riding is Caesar's head but the best is when your in the Dragon's home. I would set up a weekend trip up there. if anyone was interested but the last couple of weeks i have been really busy building an army bike for my girlfriend. She's tears up the road just as hard as i do.

421 is up just north of Boone and you just take it into Tennessee. IT is a blast. Although i like the dragon more and the moutain roads around it. I think i good trip would be to the SV rally in June. I'd lead a group from Charlotte area to there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts