Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They finally came to a verdict with a man that did a hit and run and killed the driver of the motorcycle. The guy is an illegal immigrant that has been living in michigan for 2 weeks when he hit a motorcycle. They were going to charge him with vehicular homicide and driving without a lisence (could easily get 10 years) But instead he pleaded guilty to neglegence and they gave him 2 years in prison.:angry1:

What you guys think about the situation??

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
That's BS! Maybe they'll do us all a favor and ship his butt back to where he came from when he gets out of jail. Bet he doesn't even serve the full 2 years.

This kinda stuff gets me fired up. There are tons of illegals here in GA, and when they get involved in traffic accidents, the cops don't do anything cuz there's so much paperwork involved. Grrrrrrr.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I don't know what this has to do with him being illegal or not and don't see why the discussion is already off in that direction. Also, he couldn't have a license because he was illegal- only a couple states issue them to illegals.

If he was a white soccer mom, he'd likely have gotten no jail time at all. Consider that and 2 years might seem like a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what this has to do with him being illegal or not and don't see why the discussion is already off in that direction. Also, he couldn't have a license because he was illegal- only a couple states issue them to illegals.

If he was a white soccer mom, he'd likely have gotten no jail time at all. Consider that and 2 years might seem like a step in the right direction.
My question is how did he get a license plate for his vehical, cus in Michiganyou need a drivers license and insurance to get a plate and tags.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Before anyone jumps on the "this only happened bc he's an illegal", Think about it. WE (the taxpayers) are keeping this guy fed, clothed, warm, etc. I'm not going to argue semantics about if it was anyone else, I don't appreciate tax dollars doing ANYTHING for illegal immigrants. After they found him guilty they should have processed and deported him.

·
Registered
351 Posts

Obviously the fact that he was an illegal was mentioned to further explain why he didn't have a license (you did it yet again in your post) and to paint a picture of a lifestyle of generally disrespecting the law and other people (leaving the scene) that ultimately led to a bikers death.

What makes you think a white soccer mom would get off even easier? Do you actually know of any white soccer moms driving without licenses who have run over bikers, killing them, left the scene without even trying to offer first aid, and then got off with no jail time?:rolleyes: Are you trying to turn this into a white versus immigrant racial thing? My observation has been that IMHO almost all convicted reckless drivers who "accidentally" kill people get off way too easy, whether they are white, black, or purple.

·
site supporter
6,050 Posts
If you had killed someone by mistake, would you feel you got off easy with two years in prison? At least they didn't accept the "I didn't see him" excuse we usually get to justify killing a rider. If he hadn't skipped, do you think they would have prosecuted him?

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you had killed someone by mistake, would you feel you got off easy with two years in prison? At least they didn't accept the "I didn't see him" excuse we usually get to justify killing a rider. If he hadn't skipped, do you think they would have prosecuted him?
Hard to tell, but leaving a personal injury collision is a serious crime. The fact that he elected to not first take/pass a drivers education course and get insurance to help protect all those he might injure, like the rest of us do, tells me he wasn't a very responsible driver/person. I have no idea if his carelessness actually was the primary cause of the accident, but he DID plead that he was "negligent" so that's an indicator. Then, after the accident, instead of sticking around and trying to offer first aid or summon someone who could, he just took off, leaving his victim to die or possible not be found or maybe have his body mutilated by the next vehicle along that road. That's unconscionable. Don't know the details about the accident, but what he did before and after, lead me to not give him the benefit of the doubt. Should have thrown the book at him, if he had any money forced him to reimburse US taxpayers for 10 years lodging, and then deported him with a warning to not even think about coming back!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
jtsailjt
You didn't post a link and didn't mention in your post that he left the scene. I believe you are correct that neither he nor a white soccer mom would have faced any jail time at all if they did not leave the scene. It makes you wonder why he did leave the scene. Oh wait, if he stuck around he would have been deported. His motivation aside, to suggest that his ethnic or immigration status is some indicator of the likelihood of this to happen is absurd. Go google 'motorcycle "hit and run"' and you will find plenty of white culprits.

Also, congratulations, this is the most racist thing I've hear in the last 24 hours:
to paint a picture of a lifestyle of generally disrespecting the law and other people

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not mean for this to become racist, it was just something that was on the wmriders website that i thought was worth sharing.

I think they should send him back to Mexico. If he hadn't gotten in an accident and was found to be illegal he would have been deported anyways. Him getting in the accident should just be a quicker way to him getting sent back.

·
Registered
351 Posts
jtsailjt
You didn't post a link and didn't mention in your post that he left the scene. I believe you are correct that neither he nor a white soccer mom would have faced any jail time at all if they did not leave the scene. It makes you wonder why he did leave the scene. Oh wait, if he stuck around he would have been deported. His motivation aside, to suggest that his ethnic or immigration status is some indicator of the likelihood of this to happen is absurd. Go google 'motorcycle "hit and run"' and you will find plenty of white culprits.

Also, congratulations, this is the most racist thing I've hear in the last 24 hours:
Reread the very first line of the very first post, it states that it was a hit and run. The "run" means leaving the scene.

You're the one who first tried to play the race card here in this thread and suggested that there would be different treatment if the perp were a "white" soccer mom. I suggested that ANYONE who did all those irresponsible things should be hammered equally.

I don't think his ethnic or immigration status had a single thing to do with and didn't even suggest that. I'm concerned about his ACTIONS, driving without a license so presumably no formal driving instruction, not getting insurance, leaving the scene. All of those together paint a picture of irresponsibility and uncaring for other drivers. It says NOTHING about his race. Try reading what is actually written rather than what your own internal biases lead you to see...

I think that ANYONE who drives without a license, fails to prepare himself to protect other drivers he may someday injure by first getting adequate insurance, and then leaves the scene of a serious accident is probably not a very responsible person, no matter WHAT color they are. How is THAT even slightly racist?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
843 Posts
What does his legal status or race even have to do with this? He was in the US, broke a US law, and should now face what every other US citizen must face when committing the same act. Shipping him back to his homeland would be a blessing to him, and he'd likely be back in a months time.

I'll gladly toss in my .00005 cents worth of food a month for him to know he isn't going to kill someone else in a months time.

Even if it wasn't negligence, he should be charged with failure to stop and render aid. For all we know, the guy could have lived if aid had been given/summoned sooner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What does his legal status or race even have to do with this? He was in the US, broke a US law, and should now face what every other US citizen must face when committing the same act. Shipping him back to his homeland would be a blessing to him, and he'd likely be back in a months time.

I'll gladly toss in my .00005 cents worth of food a month for him to know he isn't going to kill someone else in a months time.

Even if it wasn't negligence, he should be charged with failure to stop and render aid. For all we know, the guy could have lived if aid had been given/summoned sooner.
to someone that cannot stop and give aid when they are involved in an accident given they are legal or not should have the maximum sentence and not be able to plead it down. that just blows my mind that they would allow such an easy sentence for anyone involved like that.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Reread the very first line of the very first post, it states that it was a hit and run. The "run" means leaving the scene.
LOL, yeah, that is the definition of "hit and run"

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
*brushes the cobwebs off himself*

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Excuse me whilst I kick the soapbox from beneath your feat. Its an illegal immigrant. Do you understand what that means? It means the laws of this country were broken for them to be here in the first place--of course they're more likely to break our laws...why? THEY'VE ALREADY DONE IT.

Also, when did Al Sharpton (and other pillow biting, PC, whining ninnies) define the term "illegal immigrants" as racist? To say something like "illegal immigrants are more likely to break the law" is not racist at all--its stating an opinion (or a fact), and not even an opinion/fact based on race. I don't recall the op stating anything along the lines of "a burrito eating, lowrider driving illegal immigrant....."

And for those of you that don't think this is too big an issue--it may not be where you live. But as Looni2ns already stated, this is a huge problem here in the Atlanta area. With over 6 million people in this city, and a constantly growing population of illegal immigrants, hit and run accidents are a big problem, and its something that happens numerous times a day--whether it involves cars, bikes or pedestrians. Even if the "illegal" party stops, there is often no reprocussion at all (granted this is in large part due to state laws that are not enforced).

EDITED to add: personally, I think its a shame that anyone gets a "break" on killing someone else in auto-related accidents. Most of America seems to have a "its not a big deal, until it directly affects me" attitude about car accidents, and its annoying to me, and its dangerous to everyone else. The number of times I see people swerve at eachother and use their cars like they were weapons to threaten eachother with is simply sickening--and it makes riding a motorcycle that much more dangerous to us all. On the illegal immigrant front, I don't claim to have all the answers. Deporting them all isn't an answer, and neither is making them all legal, IMO. All I know is they fill a niche in the job market and the economy that America as we know it can't really do without.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
This is why illegal immigrants should be allowed to get drivers licenses.

They would be more likely to have insurance and a registered vehicle.

They would also therefore be more likely to stop when involved in an accident.

Laws restricting illegals from having licenses only make these situations more likely to happen.

Preventing them from getting drivers licenses doesn't dissuade them from staying here ... it merely forces them to drive without a license (and usually without insurance) if they have any hope of economic survival in the US.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Agreed.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
This is why illegal immigrants should be allowed to get drivers licenses.
Enlighten a foreigner: How "illegal" ist an illegal immigrant actually? Are they instantly deported upon being discovered as illegal? Probably not, because there would be no talk about illegals applying for drivers licences...

Ciao
Jan

1 - 20 of 45 Posts