Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and Eric (imnot12) went out for a decent ride today, just over 300 miles through MA, NH, VT and dipping into NY briefly. Supposed to meet a few other people but they never showed up? Oh well, they missed out.

These first few are of Eric (imnot12):

Two flyby videos:
http://www.centeratwestwoods.com/sv650s/723/DSCF0055.AVI
http://www.centeratwestwoods.com/sv650s/723/DSCF0057.AVI

The next few are of yours truly:

And two videos of me:

http://www.centeratwestwoods.com/sv650s/723/DSCF0059.AVI
http://www.centeratwestwoods.com/sv650s/723/DSCF0060.AVI

The last videos were done on an access road with no traffic.

I'm looking for critiques of my lean. The last video, I actually scraped my peg which in turn threw me off just a little bit and fucked up my line (as you see when I cross the double yellow). I've heard if you can scrape your pegs, your knee should be down. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong or not doing enough of? I will try and edit the video later and slow it down, I just don't have the capabilities to do that at this moment.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Photos look great, Eric next time your in MI let me know and we'll head out and ride again :)

I am no expert but if you scraped your peg try holding the bike a bit more upright when your hanging off. Pausing the video right at your most leaned over spot on that turn, it doesnt look like your really haning off too much, your head and shoulders are pretty upright.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It?s hard to really see your body position well enough in the video to critique you. In your last picture you are certainly hanging off enough, but I can?t see your forward/rear weight. Note that the position in that pic looks different that that of the video.

I?m not sure that ?if you scrape pegs, your knee should be down? is a good rule of thumb. I?m a big guy, about 6?4,? so my knee tends to touch easily. I ride with shorter guys though that are tons faster than me and their pucks look brand new.

One last thing-- I don?t think it will be pleasant if you do get a knee down in those textiles.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I apologize for the photos. They were taken with a simple point and shoot digital camera. I'm not so sure if I want to ride with my Nikon D70 for fear of damage via murphy's law.

But if I had the D70, the photos would be much clearer and also a lot more of them later in the turn.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Scotch said:
One last thing-- I don?t think it will be pleasant if you do get a knee down in those textiles.
+1, with those on, getting your knee down should not be a goal. Instant shreddage. Thats what got me to get some leather pants with pucks, shredded jeans and scuffed skin :evil: .

To me, scraping a peg means I'm close to being too far. I dont scrape my pegs but I can drag a knee every now and then. If dragging a knee is your goal, it can be done if you really want it, but it aint safe that way. I rarely drag my knee when I'm focused on purely keeping my line, but for fun I can purposely hang off reaaaaally far, as in my outside foot is off the peg.

I'm not a racer or a highly skilled rider as of yet, but judging by your last pic (since that looks to be the farthest you are hanging off out of all of them), you could hang off a lil bit more. Is your outside calf against the bike? Also, your bike isnt exactly leaned far over in that pic, so I'm sure if the turn was tighter your knee would touch down no prob.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just watched the two videos of you. thanks for making me feel like I ride like shit.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Go do some trackdays and learn some technique, so you can go fast in a controlled environment. You people are crazy for going that fast on the street.

Settle down guys... jeez. :lol:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Greg (MA) said:
acedeluxe said:
Just watched the two videos of you. thanks for making me feel like I ride like s**t.
In that case, would it be bad for me to say that I've only got 1700 total saddle miles and I've been riding for just under a month?

Well.....uhhhh.....that's not good. :|

·
Registered
110 Posts
wonderjosh said:
Go do some trackdays and learn some technique, so you can go fast in a controlled environment. You people are crazy for going that fast on the street.

Settle down guys... jeez. :lol:
+1

You could have 10 different angles in super slow-mo, with rossi on this forum offering advice and it would not come close to what you would learn during the first two hours of your first track day.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Greg (MA) said:
In that case, would it be bad for me to say that I've only got 1700 total saddle miles and I've been riding for just under a month?
your looking pretty good but take 'er easy. with little seat time you can get decent form but WILL NOT have the reaction of a more experienced rider should something go wrong....gravel, car in your lane, big bump, surprise decreasing radius turn etc.

lookin good though

·
Registered
752 Posts
Grrrrr, my pics didn't turn out awesome. I was waaaay distracted by the camera and not focusing on hanging/leaning. I prefer cranking to the left (not sure if anyone else can turn harder to the left, too, even tho I'm right handed, I think it's easier cause it's the non-throttle hand side). That turn is a big decreasing radius to the left and I didn't hit apex to well after the pic point, realizing that now. Also, I'm little, so that doesn't help me get my ass off and still be able to hold the outside peg and bar. I focus more on leanin', although not evident in the pics. Did hit several nice curves on that trip and *finally* got all the way to the edge on the left side of the tower. It was nice to rid the chicken strip at speed in a huge sweeper and not just in a clover leaf. So yea, I guess a little tougher for me to get that biatch all the way over. Usually try to "lowerer" on the bike rather than "out." And, as Ryan (Storz) told me, try to kiss the mirror. I look pretty, that's what I remember.

Greg is doing awesome for such low miles. And I truly think you are going at your own pace...it's just pretty quick at this point. I think you lied and had a bike before the SV or something. I'm sure he appreaciates the comments. That's the one thing I noticed, too, as people mentioned. As people start hanging off more, sometimes the head and shoulders don't lead the way. then, your ass is way off but your head still brings the position back more center. Greg, not sure if that's what's happening with you, do you feel like your head is still inside too much?

As far as his "peg hits, your knee should be down" part, I don't think he means, "damm, my peg was down, why not my knee," but rather your knee *should* be down before the peg, refering to the correct form addage. Track days for approproate learnin' are the next step, agreed.

And for our disclaimers, the video portion is a dead end road. Full gears, although yes, textile at this point on the pants (I can't find leathers that fit!!!!!). Our goal was certainly *not* to get knees down on the street. We hit the twisties hard when safe, 10 over on the straights, and the limit (nice and chill) in the houses/towns. We were good boys, promise!

Storz said:
Photos look great, Eric next time your in MI let me know and we'll head out and ride again :)
For sure man! Altough, not totally sure if I'll make it back this summer or not. It may come down to deal's gap OR home, and ummm, well, I think the gap may win on that one. You still gonna be around next year or getting the hell out (Becky have one more year?)?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What routes did you take? I went to school in north-western Mass (Greenfield area). I wasn't into bikes at the time, but saw the potential fun for it on the local roads. Now I would kill to be back in that area!
Rt. 2 has the hairpin curve, along with some other nice twisties and great scenery. And lets not forget VT & NH... especially up in the White Mountains area! Oh man, I'm bumming myself out now! Wishin' I was back there. Maybe vacation next year.
Sorry this was off the subject... just curious as to what roads you took. Enjoy! Oh, and watch out for wildlife crossing your path!

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Greg,
I went by you two while you were parked on the side of the road on my way to pittsfield.I was on an '01 blue naked(with a gray primed tank :oops: )..and had a spare helmet strapped on the back.I was going to post up on here to see if anyone was on RT2 yesterday,but now i dont have to..where abouts in mass do you live?

·
Registered
752 Posts
snarly said:
What routes did you take?
We went out 2 for awhile, switched to 2a, back to 2 all the way into NY. The portions right before North Adams and then coming out of North Adams are the best. Once in NY, we went up 22 to 7 to 9. Brought 9 all the way back in to 119 to home. It's really great loop, about 300. Good variety, but mostly higher speed twists and sweapers, nothing super tight or technical other than that awesome hairpin!

random said:
I went by you two
Yea dude, we saw you. What the hell can do you have on that bike? It sounded awesome! I think the 1st gens sound a little better to begin with (more unrefined, i guess), but your's sounded uber-tough.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Yea dude, we saw you.  What the hell can do you have on that bike?  It sounded awesome!  I think the 1st gens sound a little better to begin with (more unrefined, i guess), but your's sounded uber-tough.
It's an ART pro series 2 "round" slip-on.It came off a ZX9R race bike,not exactly street-legal,but what do I care?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts