Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ignore whatever Ohlins tells you about preload. Have a buddy help you set the sag yourself. You want 30mm of rider sag. If you have the right spring rate, ideally you'll come out with around 10mm of free sag.

Sag is ride height. If you have 5mm less sag it will have the same effect on sharpening steering as adding 5mm of ride height. BUT, sag is different because it keeps the suspension in the proper range. You want about 30mm with you sitting on it because that is roughly 1/3 of the suspension travel, so that the suspension can compress for acceleration and bumps but also has room to extend, say under braking or over dips. So, ideally you get the sag in the right range and then you use the ride height adjuster for changes. If you use sag to make major changes in geometry you are compromising the suspension's range.

If you couldn't get the shock to compress while bouncing on it, you most probably had it preloaded so much that it wouldn't move (zero sag).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Nimbus said:
Anyway, the shock looked the same length when I installed it with 19 lines showing, so I suspect that it is shorter now that I reduced sag my 7mm (is that right?).
Yes if it sags more the ride height is lowered.

Nimbus said:
I'll check free sag by myself next time I have a chance and see where it ends up.  Assuming the correct spring (which it should be because I ordered it according to my weight) should I get free sag in the ballpark by setting the preload and then static sag (me on it) will also be close?
That worked for me, but Ohlins reportedly has a habit of shipping out the stock spring rate.

Edit: what does it say on the spring? The rate is usually on there somewhere in newton/mm.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't get it either. I have 650lbs/in spring and I get about 10/30. I weigh 175 w/o gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts