Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main ? is how is ride height related to setting sag. It seems like it wouldn't matter. My current understanding is you set sag with preload and then use ride height to make the bike turn turn faster/slower. After riding around on the stock shock for the past 35+K miles, I decided that it was time for a serious upgrade. I installed an Ohlins shock over the w/e and put about 200 miles on it. I was trying to hit the ill maintained back roads. Well, it worked better than the stocker (duh), but wasn't quite what I expected....The bike was hard as a rock over major bumps (bouncing me off my seat). It was better than stock in bumpy corners ridden aggressively, but I think there's more. I'm now deep in the black art of suspension tuning and I need help.

I got home and reset everything to Ohlins' reccommendations last night. My dealer had said he "had it close" for me. As it turns out the shock had been set for very little compression and similarly little rebound with 19 mm of preload. Now, Ohlins reccommends 12mm of preload and 14 (out from closed?)on compression and rebound as a base-line on the SV . Once I got the compression and rebound back to 14 (without yet touching preload because the dealer said it would take the spring a while to settle), I couldn't even compress the shock when I bounced on the bike (140lbs of bounce). However, after I backed off the preload to 12 mm (12 lines showing), the same compression and rebound settings yielded a much different result. I can now get the shock to easily compress. I haven't ridden it since I made the changes, but I suspect that the ride will be a tad plusher since the shock looks like it may work (rather than just the spring). Any tuning pros with suggestions? Also, can I set the sag now or should I wait for the spring to "break in."

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, very helpful both.

As for the shop. I just bought it from them. I installed the shock myself for the added reward (well, that, and "saving" $90 from install made spending so much on the shock more palatable to my wife). But, he told me it was close.

Anyway, the shock looked the same length when I installed it with 19 lines showing, so I suspect that it is shorter now that I reduced sag my 7mm (is that right?).

I'll check free sag by myself next time I have a chance and see where it ends up. Assuming the correct spring (which it should be because I ordered it according to my weight) should I get free sag in the ballpark by setting the preload and then static sag (me on it) will also be close?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that's a ton of great info. I'll have to check on the spring rate tonight after work(I hadn't thought to look when I got it home). I think I said this earlier, but after I backed off the preload to what Ohlins recommends as a baseline the bike was much, much more compliant (sitting in the garage). As it sits now, the bike seems softer than with the stock shock.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TWF said:
yea,keep waiting for spring to settle   ;D
I assume you are being sarcastic?

The bike is a '99 Naked and I'll get the spring rate tonight after work. Maybe I'll be able to balance myself and the bike on the wall and have my wife do the sag measurements.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's what's printed on the Spring:

O1091 29/90 LO95

I have no idea what that means. I think I go about 63.5 kilos (135 lbs).

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wonderful. I suppose that will make my sag numbers off. I can't check even free sag yet as my car's current flat tire is requiring the use of my jackstands :'( And my wife is off doing Mary Kay stuff so I have no measurer anyway. :-\

So, is the 514# spring even close? I was planning on making this my track bike someday. Currently it lives its life as a hard ridden street bike.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I weigh 140lbs, and the shop knows that (he asked). He knows how I ride (as he has seen my tires, ground pegs sans feelers, and knee sliders). I'm seriously hoping the sag numbers are correct. I won't know until tomorrow when my dad gets here and we can measure. I will be so utterly pissed if I have to take the stupid shock back off the bike so he can fix his mistake. I bought from him as opposed to SV Race Shop because he is the "local dealer" and he assured me that he would be building the shock himself to fit me. He also told me specifically that he would have the right spring whereas if I bought elsewhere I may not end up with the proper rate. I guess we shall see, eh? Maybe the sag numbers by some small miracle are correct. Thanks so much for all the help everybody. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
OK,

Tentative #'s (my wife was helping, but not pleased about it).

Me: 140lbs (approx)
Spring (refer to above, apparantly 514#)
Static: 16mm
Laden: 36mm

That is with 18 lines showing (a bit before 1/2 way on the preload). I can feel the bike top out if I lift it a bit while it is standing. It's in the ballpark now and rides pretty well. Rebound and compression are at 14 from fully closed (turned to the right). I had it out for a flog today and (despite 020's with 10K miles) I was pretty impressed. It rides well and doesn't do anything really scary anymore. The bike still does a noticable "weave" or wallow while pretty far over at 70mph, but it is far better than it was. One thing I noticed was that the front tire seemed to chatter or skip when I went through a slightly downhill curve with a reasonable bump in the middle. More a factor of seriously worn tires ridden too hard I think. But I suspect that whatever my dealer did to prevent me bottoming out the front forks (more oil) screwed up something. I have stock springs with emulators and 20 wt oil. Overall, a vast improvement, but not quite right. I bet with $$$ it would be closer ::)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts