Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to finally do some suspension work on my 03 SV650 and was trying to decide between a GSXR swap or Traxxion Dynamics Drop-In kit. While looking I cam across a post in ADVrider (Original review http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9494373&postcount=22319 ). I thought they sounded pretty good, and I always like to have something a little different. Until that post I had never heard of Ricor racing shock (website http://store.ricorshocks.com/).

Ricor Racing Shocks said:
Patented Inertia Active dampening for damper rod front forks. This is the only product on the market that is smart enough to know if the wheel is trying to move or if the chassis is trying to move. We give you the best of worlds, a more stable chassis and a faster wheel response over bumps. This product will transform the front of your Harley.

The Intiminator sits on top of your stock damper rod forcing the oil through high quality deflected discs found in top of the line shock absorbers. When the front tire hits a bump then the inertia of that bump opens the inertia valve instantly allowing for a faster response.
Installation is easy. Drain the fork oil, remove the spring, drop in the Intiminator, add oil then the spring and away you go.
This is what really sold them to me. It works as they say, and is something I never had seen in any other "emulators". I had read in another review that they felt and worked "better" the Race Tech's or Traxxion's Emulators.

Installation was super easy, all you need to do is pull off the fork, pour out the oil, spring, and spacer. Then you drop in the Intiminator between the dampener rod and where the spring would be. Then fill with oil, put in spring, spacer, cap and put it back on the bike!

The front end now feels much, much, much better than the stock front end. I still get brake dive, but not as much, and going over bumps and expansion joints on the 101 is absolutely awesome. No longer are there jolts or a harsh feeling, and I feel much more comfortable cornering and on bumpier roads. I also can now see how bad the rear shock is!

Would I recommend it? Yes! They are expensive at $300, but the Traxxion drop in kit is $250, so its not way far off in pricing.

Foxracer

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Great review! Thanks.
Now that you've had them in do you think you will change your springs for heavier springs to take care of the "brake dive"?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may change the springs, but im not to worried about it. Also, Im pretty close to the proper weight for the stock spring of .74at 150 pounds, so it wouldn't make too much of a difference to jump to the proper spring at .8

Foxracer

·
Registered
342 Posts
I also have a set of the "street" intiminators. I had Race-tech's emulators and .80kg springs with 15wt oil before getting the intiminators. I think the Intiminators are a superior valve. Much better rebound control, much better bump absorption (especially in turns) and very easy install. No damper-rods to remove & drill, just drain the oil, drop Intiminator into fork tube, then fill with 5wt oil. The Ricor valves are more money than any emulator, but they offer way more than $300 worth of performance. My emulators will never see my fork tubes again!

Don at Ricor has been very helpful and very quick at answering my questions too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
going over bumps and expansion joints on the 101 is absolutely awesome.
this IS my first bike that I've driven up the 101, but I honestly didnt notice any problems... I assume you mean out the north end of paso?

I am in slo btw... lots of locals on here.. thats nice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this IS my first bike that I've driven up the 101, but I honestly didnt notice any problems... I assume you mean out the north end of paso?

Sort of, you can notice it in the slow lane northbound in atascadero, but I remember being in the bay area and it was really bad. Also, there is a local road that has these little cracks that expanded at the edge of the road, but makes a "lump" in the middle. Big difference there too.

Foxracer

·
Registered
98 Posts

Another SLO Rider here!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am getting ready to go with this mod this weekend, but was curious what 5wt oil should I get... Fox you know anyone local that sells the stuff? I dont see fork oil listed on cyclegear, I am going to hit up bits and pieces at lunch.

Oh and did you cut YOUR spacers? I know the intimitator seems like it would take up space itself but for my weight, my front end preload is maxed out...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am getting ready to go with this mod this weekend, but was curious what 5wt oil should I get... Fox you know anyone local that sells the stuff? I dont see fork oil listed on cyclegear, I am going to hit up bits and pieces at lunch.

Oh and did you cut YOUR spacers? I know the intimitator seems like it would take up space itself but for my weight, my front end preload is maxed out...
Maxed out to achieve proper sag or maxed out to deal with the lack of damping?

I maintain that Intiminators are not a substitute for the correct spring rate for your weight. The spring sets your ride height.

That said, if you don't cut your spacers, you'll get about 14mm (IIRC) more preload. But if you're closer to 200lbs than 150, I'd look into getting springs as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didnt change my spacers, but I haven't set my sag because I plan on getting a rear shock and rather do both at the same time.

Foxracer

·
Registered
158 Posts
I put a zx14 shock on a few weekends ago, and then did the intimitator install this weekend... but person I had helping me insisted leaving forks on the bike and draining oil out the bottom which mechanically seems like it'd be the same as pulling fork tubes.

Anyway, we put everything back together, and ended up using ~460ml fluid per fork tube, and somethings not right. Seems like front end is REAL stiff. I didnt cut spacers, but figured I am 225lbs so it may not be a big deal...

I dont notice brake dive, but I do notice generally more feedback from bumps and stuff in the road. Also standing up and pushing front end up and down, I now get more noise... like after I am pumping it up and down, it sounds like a "knocK" for lack of a better analogy that I can think of.

I havent rid another modern bike, so I dontk now if it its normal, or if we did something wrong. I really wished we had yanked the fork tubes, but we didnt so I dont know if the fluid levels were exactly right... its really no surprise to me that it feels funky.

I'm embarassed enough and was hoping people could ignore the halfassedness and provide constructive advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put a zx14 shock on a few weekends ago, and then did the intimitator install this weekend... but person I had helping me insisted leaving forks on the bike and draining oil out the bottom which mechanically seems like it'd be the same as pulling fork tubes.

Anyway, we put everything back together, and ended up using ~460ml fluid per fork tube, and somethings not right. Seems like front end is REAL stiff. I didnt cut spacers, but figured I am 225lbs so it may not be a big deal...

I dont notice brake dive, but I do notice generally more feedback from bumps and stuff in the road. Also standing up and pushing front end up and down, I now get more noise... like after I am pumping it up and down, it sounds like a "knocK" for lack of a better analogy that I can think of.

I havent rid another modern bike, so I dontk now if it its normal, or if we did something wrong. I really wished we had yanked the fork tubes, but we didnt so I dont know if the fluid levels were exactly right... its really no surprise to me that it feels funky.

I'm embarassed enough and was hoping people could ignore the halfassedness and provide constructive advice.

Thanks
Seems like you put far too much oil in. I recommend taking them back off and filling them the way the manual tells you to. What your experiencing is a lack of enough air to make a "cushion". Thats very important to have, as it acts as a spring in a way.

Foxracer

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Update: I just placed an order with Ricor.
Typed "svrider" in the coupon box and knocked off $100!
So it's not half price anymore, but the code does still work!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts