Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided I need to look into a newer helmet finally and upgrade my ventilation from the good ol shoei tz-1.

Noise is not really a concern as I normally wear wax plugs. My biggest concerns are quality, longevity, weight,and ventilation. I have had my eyes on the tz-r but tried a friends rf1k and liked it. So I also been eying the arai.

The padding seems more pronounced in the arai but the shoei fabric feels more durable. This was just from my pawing them both repeatedly nothing long term as far as real life wear.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have no experience with the Arai, but ive had my RF-1000 for about 6months now. I can honestly say I am very pleased with the helmet thus far, shoei is a good helmet... you really can't go wrong. Just get the one that fits the best.. lol but im sure you've heard that already.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had the Duhamel Replica RF1000 for the past 3.5 years and love it. Actually this is my second one. The first I was in an accident with a I can tell you it works! Well Shoei bought the wrecked helmet from me in order to study how it held up in the impact and I bought a second one 10 minutes later.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I love my RF-1000, but like other will say, get the one that feels best on your head. You don't want to hate wearing the helmet 30 minutes into the ride. You'll just end up distracted and will eventually end up testing just how well that helmet holds up in a get off.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I have a TZR and a RF1000. The fit is very similar. The ventilation is very different. TZR is warm, good for riding in the cold. The RF1000 has alot of ventilation. Not good for riding in the cold, good for riding in the hot.

When I was trying on helmets, the Arai RX7 didn't fit my head very well. But the Arai Quantum II fit very well.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
The RF-1000 is basically a TZ-R with more ventilation (better for Orlando, IMO), and the aerodynamic wing on the back (which really works, BTW), plus some nicer graphics. Otherwise, they share the same composite shells, same liners, and same visor system. If you liked your TZ, you'll really like the RF.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I believe the shoei X-11 is the main competitor to the arai rx-7. I hear great things about the rf-1000 though. Whatever you choose check out compacc.com. Cheapest i could find. You can get cfreger's helmet for $303 shipped.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Where are the arai people in here? I have a couple rx-7 corsairs. I manage to find them on sale for under $500 and can't pass them up. I can't imagine putting my head in anything else. The Arai's just fit beautifully. The ventilation is way better than expected. I've seen my friend wreck in Arai's enough to be able to fully trust them. Just make sure to remove the pads and wash them every once in a while and they will last a long time. .

·
Registered
280 Posts
Where are the arai people in here? I have a couple rx-7 corsairs. I manage to find them on sale for under $500 and can't pass them up. I can't imagine putting my head in anything else. The Arai's just fit beautifully. The ventilation is way better than expected. I've seen my friend wreck in Arai's enough to be able to fully trust them. Just make sure to remove the pads and wash them every once in a while and they will last a long time. .
Here is one for under $400 fer ya.
http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/2002001/p/16699
If i needed a helmet and had the money i'd be tempted.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an rx-7 colin edwards laguna seca replica. Nice fitting helmet.
I know nothing about the RF 1k

This past weekend Coleman powersports near me had a few of the rx-7 corsairs at 50% off due to their annual auction. regular price was 750 or so...
The date on the helmets were 06/07, so I'm not sure if that is a factor in whether the helmets were a good deal?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the RX-7 Corsair and love it. I tried the Shoei X-11 and it just didn't fit my head right. There's definitely a difference between the way they fit. Some may do better with the Shoei, but I'm an Arai guy for life.

I don't know if anyone can get them any cheaper, but if you get Cyclegear's mailers you get these 15-20% off single item coupons with the catalog. An Arai Corsair RX-7 would be great use of that coupon.

My wife has the Arai Quantum II - a little quieter, a little cheaper, and a little less ventilation, but otherwise another great choice for $100 less than the Corsair.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have recently purchased an RF-1000 from Competition Accessories for dirt cheap and they also have special buy Arai's for great prices. I have always had Shoei's and have no complaints. If I had the money I would probably have gone with the Arai. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I have heard that they each cater to a different shape of head so you may want to try a few on to see which fits your skull better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have recently purchased an RF-1000 from Competition Accessories for dirt cheap and they also have special buy Arai's for great prices. I have always had Shoei's and have no complaints. If I had the money I would probably have gone with the Arai. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I have heard that they each cater to a different shape of head so you may want to try a few on to see which fits your skull better.
They are DEFINITELY different head shapes. Shoei helmets hurt my head within 30 minutes. I can ride with an Arai all day. You may be opposite. I would never buy a helmet on the Internet unless I had tried it on and preferably ridden with it.

If you have CycleGear near you, I think it's worth buying from them because they offer a 7 day no-hassle helmet exchange. If you don't like the one you bought, you can exchange it in 7 days. (Used to be 30 days but some people were abusing it and so, everyone suffers).

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I believe the shoei X-11 is the main competitor to the arai rx-7. I hear great things about the rf-1000 though. Whatever you choose check out compacc.com. Cheapest i could find. You can get cfreger's helmet for $303 shipped.
The TZ and RF fit exactly the same. The OP fits in a TZ, so he'll fit in an RF. The X fits differently -- it is noticeably narrower and smidge longer. The OP might fit in an X-11, or he might not. (I don't).

SHOEI added a new Diabloic RF this year, and discontinued mine, so that is a great price on the old RF Diabolic. Best I could do 2 yrs ago was $365. (You certainly have a nose for bargains, dmleong. ;D)

I have the RX-7 Corsair and love it. I tried the Shoei X-11 and it just didn't fit my head right. There's definitely a difference between the way they fit.
See above comments. I've got no idea how the RX-7 fits versus either the X-11 or the RF-1000. Arai makes a nice helmet, but their visor system is prehistoric compared to SHOEI.

1 word....................Suomy!
Also a good choice, but I'm told they are loud.

Another good choice in a high-end helmet is the SHARK RSR2 -- a few places, including comp acc, have them marked down. I am debating getting either another RF or the RSR2, but there's no Shark dealer near me, and I have no idea how they fit.

Does anybody here have and RSR2 and can tell me about it, particularly what shape head it fits, or, even better, how it fits in relation to the RF-1000?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually it could of just been me but the rx did feel slightly shorter, not uncomfortably or dangerously though.

That visor system on the rx looked more difficult to deal with compared to the rf, but then again I am not always changing visors. I'll take a look into that quantum II as well.

Yeah it gets hot here and my biggest problem is the fogging especially during rains. After I just went through a 4 hour ride in a nasty rain last week is partially why I am looking for better ventilation.

I got that cycle gear coupon and that brings the price down a nice bit. I like the 7 day policy they have and I ride enough in 7 days to know if a lid is for me or not, actually I ride more in 7 days than a lot of people do in several months.

I really liked the rx's concept with vents in the upper visor, but do not know how effective they really are.

After trying the two my tz felt slightly wider but I have had it several years so it could be my padding.

As far as graphics Ima flat black kinda guy I never really got into graphics and it is never something that draws me in.

my concern with the rx is that material at the base holding up. I'll post pics tonight if that last bit lost everyone. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i agree that comparing the rf1000 to the corsair is not a fair fight. the corsair is much more expensive and has much nicer features. for me, i need to buy a corsair or an x-11 because my head is between sizes and agv stopped making their small/medium size (thanks agv). you can't customize the head fit of the rf1000, so for me, the corsair wins this battle every time.

the rf1000 is a nice helmet with good graphics and you can get parts with ease (take that suomy fans). but there's a reason i have two corsairs.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Over two years of use on my Arai Corsair. Visor is the weak point. Otherwise, it is extremely comfortable and it's holding up great.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Yeah it gets hot here and my biggest problem is the fogging especially during rains. After I just went through a 4 hour ride in a nasty rain last week is partially why I am looking for better ventilation.
Both the SHOEI and Arai are known to fog. Neither has a fog-proof shield, like HJC or Scorpion, despite costing hundreds more. Never could figure that one out.

At least the SHOEI has that little side lever that lets you immediately crack the shield open a slight (pre-set) amount, with one finger. I use that to de-fog. You could also treat the inside of your visor with dish soap or cat crap.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts