Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some opinions on my new flushmounts. I understand the visibility aspect, but I am getting a highmount exhaust so I can't use the stock signals. Please give me your honest opinions.

Here is one of the stripes. ;D The seat cowl has electrical tape for now (ghetto but I don't plan on riding it that way). Gonna redo the rear after I install my shock.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Re: my new flushmounts... opinions

i had the yellow version on the back of mine till i replaced my undertail with a hot bodies.  they are pretty bright.  personally if i hadn't got the hot bodies i would have gone for some thing smaller but they are nice none the less.

p.s. I mounted mine farther down on the black plastic as close to the sides as possible with out being on the tail pieces.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I am still not 100% sure on where I am gonna locate them. I want to keep them high on the tail so they are visable with the highmount exhaust.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

Man I dig it take a look!

This was mine before I tore her down. I am going to reuse it but make the metal plate better now that its winter and paint it too!

·
Registered
177 Posts

Honestly? I guess I could stomach the front. I think the rear look ghetto, and awful. No, not the tape, just that kind of signal and the location. They look totally out of place, especially next to the nice LED taillights the 2nd gens have.

·
Registered
58 Posts

RandyO said:
you really want my opinion

flushmounts are unsafe
+1 on this. I had flush mounts on my '01 that were put on by the previous owner and I never liked them. Everyone who followed me said they could not see them clearly and never could figure out when I was going to turn. My '02 has stock lights and that's the way they are going to stay.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
04YellowSVs said:
I understand this... but you cant keep stock with a highmount exhaust. I got the largest flushmounts I could to help with the visibility problem.
You can make full-size signals work with highmounts. I've seen it a million times. If you HAVE to go with flushys ('cause, y'know - you wanna) - find some LED models. the standard 1157 bulb and relfector work like crap.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have those same flushmounts on the front and I think that they are MORE visible than stock because you can see them from 180-degrees as opposed to only from the front. I've switched bikes with my friend and, while watching my bike, I can say that they are very visible signals, even from the rear.
The rear signals are a lot trickier. I have mini cat eye LED models and they are uber bright. but they are small and a little tougher to see under the tail.

But since no one on the road ever pays attention to me anyway, I don't really see an advantage leaving the ugly stock donkey ears on there. And you should always supplement with hand signals if you're really worried about people not seeing you. ;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Front= like 'em. (have them on the front of mine as well)

Rear= Nope. Takes away from the tail of the 2nd gen as mentioned above

Stripe= Great look for the bike!

Oh, and as for visibility, I haven't noticed a single difference. People turned out in front of me before and they still do it now.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I'm not a fan of that style of flushmounts. IMO, looks like they were designed in 1988. For the front, get the Watsens (pricy, I know, but way visible and very cool). For the rear, there's got to be something a little more asthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Holeshot has some nice options for rear lights also i saw somewhere integrated brake light siggnal set up that works pretty good. I put stipes on my 77 kz 650 cafe racer project and they look stellar but i would suggest using a fine line tape for when it comes time to do them for real. Oh yeah dont forget to scuff the paint for adhesion too! Red scotchbrite works really well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually it is vinyl. If you are not familiar with this stuff go to www.tapeworks.com. The only spot that is electrical tape is the seat cowl. I got that new for Christmas but wanted to see what the stripes would look like on the cowl. Since I also got a new rear shock, I am waiting until after the install to redo the rear. I never did like how I finished it by the brake lights but knew I would get a cowl soon so I didn't mind.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
thats where i had them mounted. the clears look better than mine i had the yellow ones.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts