Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the way to work today I was riding on a one land divided road toward the left side of the lane like I always do and noticed that the guy in  a car behind me was following very close. Traffic was traveling at about 40-45 mph and there was about a car lengths or two between me and the car in front of me. After noticing the guy behind me was following close I moved  over to the left a bit  more to make sure I wouldn't get rammed if I had to stop in a hurry and then he was really on my tail. The next thing I noticed is he drove passed me in the same lane (a reverse lane split?). I couldn't belive it. I wasn't holding up traffic and he didn't gain anything out of it. Was he bitter and making a point about how he can pass too?? Or just an idiot?

Anyone have this happen to them too? I suppose this is legal the same way it is for a bike to pass. Seems pretty sketchy to me though.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
In the words of the great Carlito: "That's not cool." :eek:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
when traffic is stopped, go up to him knock on the window and tell him to quit that shit.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well, passing on the right is generally a no no. I would think that cars are specifically excluded from lane splitting anyways.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That was a bonehead move by the car behind you but your initial response was incorrect IMO. If I were you I would have gradually slowed down to increase the distance from the car ahead of you and actually moved towards the center of the lane. This would give you more space in case that car braked and have kept the car behind you from encroaching on your space. The rule of thumb is minimum one car length for every 10 MPH so you were following too close. Thanks, Mike.

G

·
AFAIK, it's not legal for a bike or a car outside CA. Some places are more lenient than others; here in NC is strictly one lane = one vehicle. They will even write you up for passing a left turner by moving even slightly into the shoulder.

I had a car blow by me in the same lane at a stop light once; needless to say, I now think twice before stopping when the light turns yellow. I've also had cars drive right up next to me at a stop before. I pull sideways in front of them and they catch on.

People are dumb, or maybe your friend was drunk or deranged...

:)

EDIT: I see you are in fact in CA. That explains it all! ;)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
I had a car blow by me in the same lane at a stop light once; needless to say, I now think twice before stopping when the light turns yellow.
:)

This is a great point (sorry to thread-jack), and a great reminder to know exactly what is going on behind you when approaching lights. One habit I have developed when entering an intersection with a potential yellow light is a quick mirror check the instant a light turns yellow so I know if I have the option to stop or if I am locked into going through, in which case I apply the throttle necessary to get me through the intersection safely...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
actually yeah i had that happen to me during spring break, some ****** in a beat up old pos, trying to impress his lady friend im guessing..

doesnt matter to me, i smashed the bastards mirror right off his car and he didnt do shit about it....

when somebody does something so blatantly retarded i can't tell you how pissed off i get...

thats the only time i really "misbehaved on my bike"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
camberthrust said:
That was a bonehead move by the car behind you but your initial response was incorrect IMO. If I were you I would have gradually slowed down to increase the distance from the car ahead of you and actually moved towards the center of the lane. This would give you more space in case that car braked and have kept the car behind you from encroaching on your space. The rule of thumb is minimum one car length for every 10 MPH so you were following too close. Thanks, Mike.
When I noticed he was close I did slow and leave more room in front of me.  The combination of more room in front and moving more to the left may have left him to much of an opportunity to be a moron. I am just not very comfortable with someone right on my rear tire (ie me in the center of the lane) he could not see me slow or stop no matter how gradually I do it an end up ramming me.

I suppose in the end I was happier with that guy in front of me than behind!  The sad part is at the next red left turn signal I moved by him in the other of the two left turn lanes (of course with a head shaking stare).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe he was admiring your a$$. ;D

I think the combination of moving to your left and slowing down may have been interpreted as a sign to pull up and pass. I know on the bike if a car moves right and slows I usually take that as a "go around me" signal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just goes to show that "You never can tell"... I am glad that you are OK and that the POS did not cause any permanent damage.

I have experience the same situation to the T, slowed when the POS was too close, moved left to a safer place, and they passed on the right.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
don't know if he was bitter, but he's definitely an idiot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
he was probably some jaded fat bald focker named bob, who is stuck in a dead end job and jealous you were havin more fun.  :p

i would have been kinda ticked off but there relay isnt anything you could have done. if you flipped him off it probably just would have pissed him off even more...thats no good. just delight in the fact you now have one more "dumb ass cager story"

G

·
had a guy do that to me while back
pull up to a red light.
i start flippping out i almost lost it on him.
some old guy llike 65 70. fuckin talkin all weird. sayin how he can pass if he wants. wtf??
I was thinking o man i want to smash his car but no i cant. i got to get out of here before he tries to run me over again. and went the other way...

·
Registered
703 Posts
I going to guess that sense you're in CA where lane splitting is legal, this guy thought if you can do it, so can he. I don't agree with it though as a car is usually more quiet than a bike and is more likely to surprise the motorcyclist and result in a collision than when the bike passes the car.

Oceanside huh? I was just out there this past weekend on Hwy 76 and noticed a lot of Harleys lane splitting, but nothing like what you've mentioned.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. Pulled up to a light in the right hand lane--I was going to go straight. The lady behind me thought it would be ok to push through on my right hand side to turn right on red. I rapped my hand on her window HARD and gave her the big middle finger. She actually tried to back up behind me, but the turd behind her was honking to go---like he was going to try the same move. To piss them all off I moved my bike to the middle of the lane, parked and got off. the lady got all freaked out and went around me OVER THE GRASS and thre guy behind got all over his horn. I just sat there until he went around.

I got both plates and reported them to the cops. Bastards.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Novadesigns said:
I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. Pulled up to a light in the right hand lane--I was going to go straight. The lady behind me thought it would be ok to push through on my right hand side to turn right on red. I rapped my hand on her window HARD and gave her the big middle finger. She actually tried to back up behind me, but the turd behind her was honking to go---like he was going to try the same move. To piss them all off I moved my bike to the middle of the lane, parked and got off. the lady got all freaked out and went around me OVER THE GRASS and thre guy behind got all over his horn. I just sat there until he went around.

^^ that shit happens all the time here. It happens so much that I actually keep more to the right of my lane so there is OBVIOUSLY not enough room to squeeze by on my right. Hell, they honk at me even cause they think ooo I'm a motorcycle I should move out of their way so they can turn right on red. When they honk I just stand up and itch my ass with my middle finger. They stop honking then.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Novadesigns said:

I don't see why you got upset about that. If I'm going straight and they can fit by me on the right to turn right on red (which is legal here in NJ) I never get upset. I usually leave them room to do it too. Did they cut it too close and tyr and force you over or something?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts