Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone is reaching the rev limiter in 6th gear with factory sprokets?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Isn't the rev limiter with stock gearing somewhere around 140-something? Pretty sure the copper 03 is the only one that can go that fast. :)

Honestly, I've wondered the same thing too.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same here. I have yoshi pipe, hindle ti can, K&N filter, Dyno jet kit, Super Sprox 520 conversion (factory gear). Before big bore I made it to 128(down hill, squid run), and after I have made it to 131 (flat out, airport runway). No where near the rev limiter.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Factory gearing in 6th can't overcome wind resistance to reach redline.
Gearing commander is theoretical top speed... doesn't take into account real world physics.
Correct, but if you can hit the rev limit then you are able to overcome the force of the wind.

Wind resistance (terminal velocity) has no bearing on the RPM and possible speed of rear wheel.
For example if you was to put the rear tire on a slab of ice that is coated with water (extremely low coefficent of friction) it would be spinning at the same speed at 2500 RPM's as if it was spinning at 2500 RPM's on pavement. Prof. ever watched a tac on a car say your doning 60 mph when sitting still doing a burn out?

I have not hit it and don't exspect to. I was hoping someone else had. Gives me a goal to work for.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
:headscratch: What?
Your question: "Is anyone reaching the rev limiter in sixth gear, with factory sprockets."

My answer: "Nope."

Do you need more information?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your question: "Is anyone reaching the rev limiter in sixth gear, with factory sprockets."

My answer: "Nope."

Do you need more information?
One word posts are like one word texts. Just lack substance lol.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
One word posts are like one word texts. Just lack substance lol.
Ahhhh... the mental masturbation that is the internet.

Okay, I'll play.

Theoretically, you could hit the limiter in sixth gear, but you would first need to remove all of the Earth's atmosphere. Of course, that would also prevent internal combustion from occurring. Also, you and everyone else on the planet would die. So, don't try this.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhhh... the mental masturbation that is the internet.

Okay, I'll play.

Theoretically, you could hit the limiter in sixth gear, but you would first need to remove all of the Earth's atmosphere. Of course, that would also prevent internal combustion from occurring. Also, you and everyone else on the planet would die. So, don't try this.
You sound like my wife.

You are going to get a yes or no answer, if you ask a yes or no question - and don't get freaking surprised when it happens!
I'm happy to see some people joking around here for once, I was begining to think this board was a bunch of uptight old foggies.

Atmosphere is our friend, so is friction and gravity, but only in certain applications.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Correct, but if you can hit the rev limit then you are able to overcome the force of the wind.

Wind resistance (terminal velocity) has no bearing on the RPM and possible speed of rear wheel.
For example if you was to put the rear tire on a slab of ice that is coated with water (extremely low coefficent of friction) it would be spinning at the same speed at 2500 RPM's as if it was spinning at 2500 RPM's on pavement. Prof. ever watched a tac on a car say your doning 60 mph when sitting still doing a burn out?

I have not hit it and don't exspect to. I was hoping someone else had. Gives me a goal to work for.
Huh?

What him say?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
In general you're going to need quite a bit more HP than stock to hit the rev limiter in 6th. I have done it on a mostly stock first gen (M4 pipe, BMC filter and jetting) but it was at Daytona in a double draft with a tail wind. Not a common scenario. ;D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Huh?

What him say?
Physics my dear watson :eek:ccasion14:

In general you're going to need quite a bit more HP than stock to hit the rev limiter in 6th. I have done it on a mostly stock first gen (M4 pipe, BMC filter and jetting) but it was at Daytona in a double draft with a tail wind. Not a common scenario. ;D
Thanks Rich. My bike is not stock :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Nobody here has enough HP to do it?
not without serious mods

stock HP will punch you thru the wind up to about 125 nekid maybe 130 S, anything over that is downhill or with a tailwind

a lot depends on how much of a barn door you are and how well you can tuck

fastest I've made it in top gear is 125±, my gps peaked me at 128.6 in 5th gear

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
not without serious mods

stock HP will punch you thru the wind up to about 125 nekid maybe 130 S, anything over that is downhill or with a tailwind

a lot depends on how much of a barn door you are and how well you can tuck

fastest I've made it in top gear is 125±, my gps peaked me at 128.6 in 5th gear
I've never carried fith out that far. my fith feels like it hits a wall at 115 or so. Once I up shift to 6th I get back in the power again and pull on up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts