Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one here ever done their own seat/s? Mine are starting to crack and rip and its annoying and ugly, so I was thinking of maybe throwin some fur or some sort of other material on them. So I figured I'd ask your guys thoughts and opinions on it. If anyone hear has done it them selves any tips?

·
Registered
167 Posts
My dad is an upholsterer and growing up in the shop, I've done plenty of other stuff, just no motorcycle seats! The biggest thing to focus on is pulling the fabric tight. On a seat like the sv, I'd say start in the middle with a tack/staple on each side of saddle, then pull the fabric tight to the front and back.

edit: what are you going to use to tack the matterial to the underside of the seat? Some of the little hand staplers you get for upholstery at fabric stores aren't strong enough to do the job. We use air guns but it wouldnt be worth buying one if this is the only thing you'll be using it for

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My friend just did mine for me with a cloth fabric he has suede on his. ill ask him & write more later.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did my own with a staple gun. Will post pics later when there's good light out. I just need to go back and take care the front "corner" where I didnt quite pull the vinyl right and there's a dull point instead of completely round.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy a $25 electric staple gun. Much easier...

Also, depending on the material it may be difficult to get it smooth around the corners...most people end up with a fold. Try heating the material with a hair dryer or heat gun and working it until its formed to the shape.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Front seats, I have no issues with getting out all wrinkles. rear SV seats...they are another story.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Use Marine vinyl......it will stretch real good and can be found at your local fabric store. It's also water proof.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Use Marine vinyl......it will stretch real good and can be found at your local fabric store. It's also water proof.
Yep runs about $10 a yard so 1.5 yards should do both front and back easy. Just get a staple gun, a heat source and start working it.

Used my oven to keep the vinyl stretchy during the process.

Use the old cover as a kind as to working the material in the corners and bends to keep it looking smooth and with out edge ripples.

See it's easy to do, just take it slow, pull firmly and staple.

:)

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Has any one here ever done their own seat/s? Mine are starting to crack and rip and its annoying and ugly, so I was thinking of maybe throwin some fur or some sort of other material on them. So I figured I'd ask your guys thoughts and opinions on it. If anyone hear has done it them selves any tips?
NO

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Nex....you still have the same wrinkles on the rear seats that I get...pretty hard to get around that.

I will say cheap vinyl is $10 a yard....good stuff is about 3 times that.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The issue with the rear seat is the difference in width from the front to the back. The easiest way I would foresee doing it would be to cut out a 30° pie slice on the back half of the fabric, and then sew that back together. BUT, that would look stoopid, so I just do the best I can to get the wrinkles out.

I am no professional when it comes to doing the seats, that is for sure. I just try to offer up something better than stock, but still cheaper than an aftermarket seat and/or other redo places out there.

Honestly, redoing a seat is not that big of a deal.....almost anyone can do it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been thinking about doing my rear (provided I just don't get a solo cowl and call it a day) about the same as my front. Sew together some different segments across the side, then a flat piece over the top.

Disregard the dew on the seat. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks a lot for all the info and pictures. I think I'm gonna try it. If I do Ill definitely post some pictures. Sucks that the rear seat is harder and thats the one that really needs it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts