Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a GPR stabilizer on my 05 SVS and it uses a low profile aluminum SSN. I realized this nut was loose and when I took it off, I realized that some of the threads were boogered up... it goes on for a few rotations and then just stops. My plan is to put some oil on it and try to rethread it on the steering stem. The reason I'm hesitant is that I don't want to cause damage to the threads on the stem. Can anyone confirm that the SS on our bikes are made of steel, or any metal stronger than aluminum? I assume yes, but want to be sure before I make a $500 mistake :) Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try to stick a magnet to it, that will at least tell you if it's a steel (for the most part, anyways). Make sure the nut is not crossthreaded or anything. If you can, use a pick to run through the threads by hand, it may just be some grit in there. On top of that, see if it will thread on upsidedown.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks leed. The nut and stem are definitely clean (that was my first thought). If I thread it one way, the stem gets about halfway in the nut. If I flip the nut over, the stem threads almost all the way through the nut. In fact, I can see that the last thread is too wide, so to speak. There is a bigger space between the last two threads on the nut and this is probably why it's stopping there.

Good idea with the magnet... it has no effect on the nut, which I thought was aluminum due to its light weight. However, it grabs onto the steering stem so it's probably steel. Considering all this, do you think I can try putting the nut on in the direction where it gets farther down the stem with a little oil on it and just try forcing it a bit, backing off, etc...? I would hope this would rethread that last bit of the nut hopefully. Should I give it a go?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't think it will hurt the stem itself. Oil is a good idea, but when you get it to fit right, make sure you degrease everything before you torque it, as the torque values are set for dry fits. You would be amazed how much of a difference some grease or oil makes on a torque value (in otherwords, the 74 ft-lbs dry torque applies a much much greater load with lubrication).

Worst comes to worst, you'll need to obtain a new steering nut, but I don't think it'll cmoe to that. Let me know what comes of it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do, thanks! Once I rethread it, I definitely plan to degrease it and apply some blue loctite to the threads anyway. As for obtaining a new nut, I'd like to anyway, because I assume that rethreading will cause some damage (or just eliminate) that last thread, and with a nut this short, it only has about 4 threads in there and I don't want the strength of this part of the bike to be compromised, so I'll do this as a last resort if I don't come up with a replacement nut by Friday (Saturday is track day!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you want to determine material and are willing to do a little math steel is ~ .284 lbs/cubic inch. So if you can get an accurate measuring beaker you can figure out the volume of the nut, then weigh it. aluminum is SIGNIFICANTLY less massive, so it shouldn't be too hard to tell the difference...

Truthfully you could look at surface finish toss it around in your hand and get a pretty good idea of what it is based on weight alone...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts