Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at these bikes before I sold Red.Thought it might be a fun project to do.
[/IMG]
The one in front did come with a tank.The second one is the bike I'm focusing my efforts on.IT has papers ,none of the others do.It 's also the most complete.The silver ones front has been smacked,figures that that would be the easiest to get re papered.The one at the back a mostly complete 83 EF as well.More later.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK back with more pics and news
[/IMG]
From the other side.Can't see how bad the silver on is.
[/IMG]
The black looks OK in pictures but it's really badly done.Just sprayed over the graphics.Lots of over spray.Think it was done with the body work on the bike!
[/IMG]
Got to paint this bike right!
[/IMG]
Was thinking about keeping the stock cans a little till I seen this.
[/IMG]
Who am I kidding this was going on her.
[/IMG]
Not this header with its"performance" mods.Fortunately I have a 4into1 that's good.
[/IMG]
This is how bad the silver one is.It has the Supertrapp and the"enhanced "headers.
Now the news.
[/IMG]
Took the tank off and she ran like a top.Suspect a bad fuel tap,I've got a spare or three:happy3:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the gas filler on the 85
[/IMG]
Wished it fit here
[/IMG]
But it does not I see a lot of sanding in my future.Need to get ALL that spray can black off.Have to think of a color scheme to go with this
[/IMG]
Don't really want to do red and black again.Doesn't have to match,just don't want it to clash either.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the carbs off yesterday,forgot what a joy taking old I4 carbs off is.Going to see if they need to be rebuilt but will probably just give them a good clean.
[/IMG]
Got to clean here to
[/IMG]
Also took the covers for the chain adjusters off.Well I tried to .One screw was seized in that I ended up breaking the cover off.Got a vice-grip on it and now have to drill out the piece in the arm.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/IMG]
The carbs might have needed a clean.Fair amount of crud in them.
[/IMG]
Other than that the seem pretty good.
[/IMG]
Buttoned back up ready to go back in.:)
Exploring yesterday the second black bike I found a tool kit,a second air filter and a pretty new looking battery.Put the battery on the tender last night.When I took it off this afternoon it was reading 12.9v.If it holds Ive got 2 good batteries.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the battery is reading 12.5v this morning,looks like it's OK.thought I'd take portraits of the other bikes
[/IMG]
How do you do this much damage without wrecking the wheel?
[/IMG]
The red one,the most incomplete of the 4.does have a tank BTW.Lock for the seat's missing and the seat is locked down.:mad:
[/IMG]
83 black one.Found the battery,tool kit and extra air filter on this one.A few other things have made it to the 85 to.
Sprayed the header bolts with WD40 this morning to get them ready to remove.Hopefully get the exhaust pipe sorted this weekend.
[/IMG]
It needs a good cleaning and paint.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No pics today:(Got the tires off smash face and on to the gold rims.They are a set of Metzler's that are not very worn,ME33 front and a ME77 rear.Lost the balance weights when I cleaned some of the muck off the wheels:mad:I4 carbs are a real PITA to get back on to.Two clamps to sort out then put the tank on and get her running again...........hopefully.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went out to change the oil yesterday.Got distracted by some oil drips on the header pipes so I took the sprocket cover off.
[/IMG]
Cleaned a little before I took the pic.It was a mess,as expected.Was worried the counter shaft seal was leaking.But the freshest oil was from the round thing under that,GPI feed I think.It was lose so maybe problem solved.
[/IMG]
It cleaned up nicely;D
So I proceed to drop the oil,This came out.
[/IMG]
Yes that is 2 4l ice cream buckets full.The engine needs 3.2l.WTF!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go back to work today.Did exhaust removal.Have been dousing down the bolts with penetrating oil for about a week.Took my impact drive with a 12mm socket on it and went to work.Some bolts came loose right away,Others didn`t seem to.When I put the ratchet on them they came right out.So not very much after I started I had this:
[/IMG]
Same thing with this
[/IMG]
Then I seen this
[/IMG]
It`s not as bad as the other one but I wish it wasn`t there.
Took the mid pipe off smashed face as it is the Supertrapp mid and the other one didn`t fit right.
[/IMG]
Ran it for a sec this way:angry7:
[/IMG]
Much better,about the same as my Delkevic equipped SV(with baffle).
[/IMG]
Now I have to clean it up and give it a well deserved paint job;D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the 4>1 off to clean and paint
[/IMG]
1/2 done,using a wire brush on my angle grinder.
[/IMG]
Got it all cleaned off then finished it off with my dremel.
[/IMG]
Then I coated it with rust remover to get the stuff I couldn't get to.It's also supposed to be a primer/protectant so what the hay.
[/IMG]
Looks pretty good all painted.
[/IMG]
Baking it as the instructions on the can say to do.It just fit in.Yes my wife knows I did this,she was thinking it was a good idea before I said anything.I love my wife!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed the Supertrapp yesterday
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Looks really good in it's new paint.
[/IMG]
Did a couple of other things.The right side center stand spring needed to go to the left side so the 4>1 could clear.Also swapped the side stand from smashed face.The one on the 85 didn't retract properly,it had the wrong spring on it.Painted that to.
[/IMG]
Looks good so far.Next project :take the forks off the red 83 and fit them to the 85 with the 85 anti dive units,if possible.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did part one of my plans yesterday
[/IMG]
Atually started the day before by getting the stuff on the front out of the way(fairing mounts,instuments,etc) on the donor and recipient bikes.
[/IMG]
Had a little troble with the air fittings but once I found the right way they came off easily.
[/IMG]
Springs where preloaded with the stack of washers on the right:facepalm:
[/IMG]
All brokken down for cleaning and painting.New fork seals on order to.;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[/IMG]
All the parts on my bench.A bit of head scratching and manual consulting later and
[/IMG]
Then
[/IMG]
Took them out to replace these
[/IMG]
For obvious reasons
[/IMG]
Air fittings are different,used the 83 fitting on the top.
[/IMG]
Had a WTF moment when I seen this.Two problems,One is I forgot the spacers.Two is
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The 85 has a thinner pinch bolt area than the 85.The solution?double spacers as you can see.
[/IMG]
Mostly back together.Have to put the reflectors back on as they have the brake line holders on them.Need to bleed the brakes then put all the body work on.Get insurance for the summer and ride.More to come over the winter.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[/IMG]
Started getting it back together.Bleed the brakes ,r/r the rear pads and replaced the cracked left side of the fairing with the good one on the other bike.Love having parts bikes!
[/IMG]
Didn't like the painted screen so did something about it
[/IMG]
Got this to finish sanding,started with 400 to get through the bulk of the paint.
[/IMG]
Like lots of water when I wet sand.
[/IMG]
Getting the paint off
[/IMG]
Done sanding,looks better already
[/IMG]
2 grades of cut polish,hand done and it's looking better.
[/IMG]
used this to finish.Worked great on headlights and
[/IMG]
It worked great on this to.
[/IMG]
That's more like it!
Edit: put the wrong picture in:facepalm:Better now:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry it's been a while,busy with getting her ready to ride and other things.

Decided to change out the PP holders for the nicer ones on the red bike

They make the frame look really bad thogh:rolleyes:

Went to fix the screw I broke in the preload adjuster and broke off the tap:sbmfacepalm:

So i took the swinger and shock off this one.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cont

Cleaned up the shock and arm,painted the links.Tried to install it as a unit,didn't work.Got the arm in then the shock.There was swearing involved.

Got some bar ends,very nice.

The brake light was not working.Found this(left) when I took the lens off.

And this behind it:rolleyes:.Pluged the unit on the right.:)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cont.

Out on her shakedown run.There where a few problems.Some took a while to fix cause I'm a:tool:

Had to take the carbs off,one of the needle valves had some muck on it and was leaking.

Got these to get rid of the phillips on the carbs

And the boots

Got new boot O rings from a member at GSR so......

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry to say this is my last post on SVRider.I'm just not one anymore.It's a great site and I have really enjoyed the time spent here.It helped me through a few rough patches and was there trough the good times to.But as things stand I'm more into my GS than looking back to the SV.
In the words of Dave Hatch"Keep you feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked".
Farewell
SVSooke

1 - 20 of 22 Posts