Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new member here. Joined back in August when I first picked up the SV. Two weeks later Hurricane Katrina dumped 9 feet of water into my house. Needless to say haven't had much time since to hang out on the board.

As a result of the storm my insurance company totalled the bike. Since it was brand new, and I had a deductible, I still owed Suzuki Finance the deductible. Since I still owed on it State Farm let me keep it. I paid off the deductible so I am now the proud owner of a water-logged '05 SVS. It only has 500 miles on it. Trouble is it sat underwater for two weeks. To top that off the storm was 3 months ago and I've yet to have time to do any sort of work on the bike to halt the damage started by it sitting underwater.

My question is what would you do with it? It will need to have a full tear down done on it to clean and dry everything. Bearings need repacking. Cables need replacing. Radiator flush. Basically a frame up rebuild. I consider the project to have 3 parts; motor, chasis, electrical system. What kind of money would it take to get it running?

The chasis is in good shape. Rust on all the bolts and such but the suspension stanchions are smooth and not pitted. No oxidation on the aluminum. I was planning on getting the forks and shock replace for track worthy pieces anyway. So the frame, wheels, swingarm, triples, etc would be good with some cleaning and fresh grease in the bearings.

Body work is fine. No scratches, dents or dings. Bike was found exactly as I left it. If I washed it the only thing that would stand out is the rusty chain and bolt heads. All painted surfaces are fine.

Controls? Brake calipers and master cylinders? Brakes are siezed can they be salvaged? What would new calipers, rotors, master cylinders cost?

Don't know if the motor is siezed or not. I need to pull the plugs and get some oil in the cylinders soon. Could be saved but is the cost to much? Radiator? Throttle bodies?

Electrical system? Instrument cluster? Lights? Computer? Fuses?

Wondering if it could be made into a suitable track bike or if I should just sell it as salvage bike for parts. I imagine the body work, frame, sub-frame, wheels are worth something. No crash damage at all on any of the parts. What would you do?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
This can be a very controversial topic.  There's also a lot involved, I'll PM you my cell # and I'll be happy to give you my $.02.  It will take some labor but probably not *to* much $$$.  I've been working on bikes for a long time and I'm sure I can set you in the right direction.

The first thing you NEED to do is dump about a gallon of kerosene in the crank, shake the bike around a bit and drain it. Then fill it up with kerosene and let it sit for a day or two. Fill the cylinders with WD-40, you might as well buy it in the metal gallon jugs.

Wash the bike eat off it clean. Remove body work, light housings, gas tank, etc... to wash behind them as well. Use large, soft brush's to get behind and into everything. Getting it clean and getting all the water out of the engine will prevent it from getting any worse...

·
Registered
745 Posts
You could just part it out and use the money to pick up a nice used one. However, if you want to make it road-worthy again, I don't see it being too hard on the pocket. Just a lot of work taking things apart and putting them back together.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you don't feel like doing all the labor involved...maybe people on this board can give you a fair price they think you should ask for it and place it on ebay, say it was submerged and set the reserve to the minimum you would want for it and use the money as a down payment on a new 06. Up to you and how much you want to put into the bike. Some of the surface rust inside the motor may be able to be cleaned off the parts without replacing them. Start putting a price list together before tearing it down and see what it will take to rebuild it...may find out it's not worth it as I am sure there will be some parts broken or screwed up from the water and salt water that you were not aware of. Good Luck...sorry to hear you were caught up in the storm. My dad is in Slydale, LA working on the US 90 bridge right now helping rebuild it. It is a mess over there, hope you get everything else worked out with the other items destroyed in the storm.

G

·
sv cylinder sleeves are cast iron,which means they will rust in one day if water gets to it.I would take them out and rehone cylinders and get new rings.
if you turn motor over with rust in cylinders it can get around and behind rings and jam them.
same story with valve guides.
two weeks under water is long time.after that longest it sits worse it gets.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
yikes. sorry about your loss.

I guess it depends on your skills as a mechanic, and how much work you are willing to put into this project. If it were me, I think *maybe* I could *probably* conquer a project like this (with a lot of help from a service manual and my buddies on this forum)...but it would be more than I would be willing to do. I would definitely want to do a tear-down of the motor, at least to check everything out...maybe not completely absolutely necessary, but I would. Given that that is the way I would handle it if I were doing it, it would be more than I would be willing to do...if it were me, I'd try to sell the bike. I'd probably try to sell it as a whole, to a salvage yard first, to see what I would get for it...you might could make a bit more money parting it out on ebay or the for-sale forums here, but that would probably be even more of a pain in the rear than trying to fix it yourself.

Anyone have any ideas about what the salvage value might be? I don't have a clue.

bbmxta said:
My dad is in Slydale, LA .....
no he is not.

he is in Slidell ;D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hey dude glad you're okay!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Total disassembly. You don't know what's rusted or where water was trapped. If the mechanical bits are salvageable you still have to worry about the electronics. Soak everything like coils, ignition modules, etc., in distilled water, then rinse with a fresh batch of distilled water, then let dry. You can build a small cabinet out of plywood and install a 60W bulb to keep the temperature up. Punch a 1/2" hole in the bottom and the top to encourage air flow.

My experience is that almost everything should be fine (once cleaned and reassembled) except for the cylinder bores (hone, maybe replace) and maybe the inside of the gas tank (coat with one of the various coating kits available). The electrics are a crap shoot, particularly the ignition module..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NOsquid said:
Hey dude glad you're okay!
Yeah, me and the wife are fine.  Wish I could say the same for our house. ;D  You don't grow up in NOLA an stay in town when the big one hits.  We were gone on Saturday.  Couldn't take the bikes with me though.  They both sat in my kitchen the whole time.  The insurance company took the Ducati.  They wanted too much $$$ for the buy-back.  Since I had to pay the deductible anyway I basically got the SV for free.  I hadn't even made a payment on it.  So I figure I'll do the math and see what is cheaper, buying a nice used one or getting this one running, it may make a nice winter project.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My house got 9 feet too, but I took my bike with me ;D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just remembered you can go buy electrical parts cleaner from radio shack or any electronics store and spray the heck out of it all and it will evaporate 5-10 secs later depending on how much you use. I would use it rather than wd-40 if you do do that as it is safe on all electronics and leaves no residue. May take you 2-3 cans because they are usually small cans.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
bbmxta said:
Just remembered you can go buy electrical parts cleaner from radio shack or any electronics store and spray the heck out of it all and it will evaporate 5-10 secs later depending on how much you use.  I would use it rather than wd-40 if you do do that as it is safe on all electronics and leaves no residue.  May take you 2-3 cans because they are usually small cans.
I use starting fluid, it's alcohol (evaporates clean) and is very cheap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts