Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike presents the simptomps of a missing 0.75oh resistor assy as it doesn't show in dashboard the speed and the fuel light. As a particularity of the dashboard, when i turn the key, the engine torque indicator doesn't move for the start up check as all others indicators pass the test, but it works correctly when the engine start. Before to blame the dashboard for those issue I run tests for the speed reader in the wheel and the resistor level inside fuel pump, including the bulb.
As i don't have a service history of the bike i might have a different model dashbord which require a resistor located in tail section, my bike doesn't have one there and neither a connector for it because is a k3 model.
Now i got back to square one with 2 connectors from the pictures below in tail section that i don't know what are they for....

On dashboard connector i have the wires related to resistor?

Thank you.
Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
First step, determine what year your gauge is, compare with the photos below:

2003-2004 (six large gray resistors)

2005-2006 (two large gray resistors)

2007+ (no large gray resistors)

If your bike is 2003 but your gauge is 2005+, the fuel light will not work. The 2005+ bikes have a fuel thermistor resistor pack in the tail section, the 2003-2004 bikes do not. To fix, connect a 5W 75ohm resistor from Yellow/Black to Orange/Green at the gauge connector. That will emulate the missing resistor.

For the tach, the SV650 does not sweep the tach needle on startup. So long as the tach works when the engine runs, all is good.

For the speedo, measure voltage on the Pink/White wire at the gauge plug. Raise the front wheel, key on, should see the voltage toggle between 0v to 5v as the front wheel spins.

The connector you posted is the Dealer Mode connector, used to display Dealer Mode codes. The other connector is auxiliary for alarm/diagnostics. Typically, nothing is connected to either connector.

Welcome to SVRider! hth.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Yes, that is definitely a 2003-2004 gauge which means you do NOT need to add an external 75 ohm resistor to fix the fuel light.

A failed fuel thermistor inside the tank is the most likely cause for the failing fuel light. The gauge electronics and LED indicator are very reliable and rarely fail.

The thermistor is fairly expensive, about $180.

If you are handy with soldering you can buy any used thermistor from either a gen2 or gen1 SV, desolder the can then solder it onto your 2003 thermistor stalk.

This is a gen1 thermistor stalk available on eBay for $55. You get two thermistors so would have a spare for the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts